British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Jamaica (again) Has Anybody Seen Currency 1882 London Mint Pennies?

I have been trying to run down instances of this 1882 Penny, evidently struck at London (or perhaps at Heaton with omitted "H"). I have had for some while a PCGS slabbed VF35 but just purchased from the Spink Auction today an MS63 NGC slabbed.

Neither have any sign of weak or erased "H", but I have previously tried to track other instances of verified 1882 "No H" pennies. I believe that the Ford and Remick collections had these but can't seem to get information on the internet. Can anybody help with these or other citations?

These were possibly struck to test out the new electrical pressing equipment the Mint was converting to, probably the reason why Heatons got the exclusive contract for pennies that particular year.

No, that struck for Jamaica in 1882.

I have a .pdf of the auction of the Remick Collection from Spink (their site is a disgrace but notionally you should be able to view the lots on their website).

Lot 1102 (in part III, auctioned January 2007) is a proof 1882 Jamaica penny with the note that 'This date and mint-mark was only struck as a proof. With note by Remick "V.Rare"'.

If anyone has a .pdf with high-resolution images or knows how to get the Spink site to work I'd be very interested either way.

Thanks for that bit; I also would like to get such. I think his specimen was that from the Arielle collection then sold at Baldwin in I believe 2014. The currency 1882 "No H" is listed at 375 USD in Krause, but  maybe they were missing a "0" at the end of that value? LOL

Kraus is notorious for undervaluing foreign coins....

BTW, the census at NGC is likely wrong as they have SIX 1882 “ no H” pennies listed - and only ONE “H”. When I inquired they told me that their numbers were correct and I had no idea of what I was talking!

Quite rude and likely wrong with no evidence of checking.  

In the year since this was posted I have seen no other decent 1882 Jamaica "no H" pennies. I think this one may be pretty rare.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, VickySilver said:

In the year since this was posted I have seen no other decent 1882 Jamaica "no H" pennies. I think this one may be pretty rare.

FYI NGC census has 6 - AU55, MS62, MS63 (yours), MS64 x 2 and MS66 if that helps. I would guess 48,000 minted but purely a guess based on known amounts around the same time.

Yes,  I have seen their census and the moderator refused to answer my very pleasantly stated question in a less than pleasant fashion. I have seen only the single other MS64 that is part of the Jamaica penny census #1 set.  I am a bit dubious as the 1882 H is represented by only a single coin - this type (with the H) is decidedly more common and has been published as that. 

Frankly I would guess that the mintage for the year total or that for 1882 H might be the 48,000 you stated. Ford, amongst others was unaware of the coin in currency form. My recall is that the Diana collection did NOT have one. I am inclined to believe that the 1882 "no H" would be substantially less.

If you do find a mint state 1882 "no H" my recommendation would be to hold on to it. If you find either of the 64s or the 66 for sale at a semi-sensible price, do let me know.

Who was Ford?

Collection sold at Spink 15/10/1990 (79) and 14/10/1991 (88). Sorry, can't expand on the info required as I don't have either catalogue here any more.

• Like 1

Good research, fellows! John Ford was able to put together very comprehensive collections in a time when it was a bit more possible on a "normal" person's budget....As opposed to that (IMHO) infernal Hansen fellow in the USA putting together a virtually complete collection of US coins on an unlimited budget as a BILIONAIRE.

Easy come, easy go...

I am not selling either of my 1882 (no H) Jamaica pennies as they were hard won.