British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Unwilling Numismatist

50 Years of the 50p (Set)

For those interested, the set of 50p's including a 2019 Kew are on sale from today.

These sets are limited to 3,500.

Make of it what you will, I have mine.. just wish they'd left it for a month or two, as this close to Christmas getting 10 wasn't an option.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/50-years-of-the-50p/

Kev

All sold within 2 hours of writing.

Dammit, I should have bought 10. That would have been easy cash for real coins.

Many appear on ebay already and some have sold for consideably more than the RM price - many listings show as "Pre-Order".

If you blinked, you missed 'em.

Your link (which didn't work, by the way!) takes me to the set on the RM site - however, "Buy Now" brings up many things but not that set. Certainly no "sold out" message.

The link seems to function perfectly still.

The only set left available is the crappy "old and 2008"  pairing for waaaaytoomuchmoney.

Everything else on teh page (once you've scrolled down) all shows as no longer available.

50ps.PNG

yup all straight on ebay, yet you sign up for info from the mint and find nothing out until 2 weeks later 

I got an email at 08:22 this morning while I was driving to work, hardly sufficient to plan a buying frenzy.

7 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

The link seems to function perfectly still.

The only set left available is the crappy "old and 2008"  pairing for waaaaytoomuchmoney.

Everything else on teh page (once you've scrolled down) all shows as no longer available.

7 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

50ps.PNG

When I said "not working", I meant not here - however it does work if I copy/paste it into the address bar. Most links people post in these forums act as direct links when I click them. Yours is blue and apparently 'clickable' but it doesn't open a new tab, doesn't do anything.

But those items showing above don't appear anywhere I've gone to on their site - plenty of other cr*p but not those 50 years of 50p sets, though you do get the information about the set from the original link, but not anywhere else on the site.

How peculiar.

I'm not aware of doing anything untoward with the original link. All I did was went to that link and scrolled down (ignore all the bumf you see at the top about the 50p's and scroll down).

23 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

How peculiar.

I'm not aware of doing anything untoward with the original link. All I did was went to that link and scrolled down (ignore all the bumf you see at the top about the 50p's and scroll down).

Apart tfrom the dodgy link, you're quite right - I just needed to scroll down! My mistake was clicking one of the buttons higher up.

the london coin company have some in stock at a mere snip for 750 lol, how are they getting their hands on so many sets ?

https://thelondoncoincompany.com/epages/4d237887-b78a-4f19-8c94-ebc46654c578.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/4d237887-b78a-4f19-8c94-ebc46654c578/Products/SCS-037000

Edited by craigy

Don’t get caught up in this type of thing, people on YT hype these things to the hilt and you’re eventually left floundering when the hype wears off.

remember, they are for sale at X price, they’ve not sold for X price. Even the gold proof set I wouldn’t bother with.

Edited by azda

i don't like the fact that the kew isn't an original 2009 one but is being treated price wise like it is (i believe it has 3 dates on it,where the 2019 date on the obv) 

i also don't like the fact the 50 "New Pence" was reduced in size too, kind of ruins it again, i guess it would have messed up the symmetry of the box too 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rpeddie said:

i don't like the fact that the kew isn't an original 2009 one but is being treated price wise like it is (i believe it has 3 dates on it,where the 2019 date on the obv) 

i also don't like the fact the 50 "New Pence" was reduced in size too, kind of ruins it again, i guess it would have messed up the symmetry of the box too 🤷‍♀️

The rare Kew isn’t even the proof coin, it’s the circulation coin that the rare one 😆

On 1/22/2019 at 11:02 PM, azda said:

The rare Kew isn’t even the proof coin, it’s the circulation coin that the rare one 😆

and again the kew gardens from 2009 aint exactly rare is it with dozens of listings on ebay and the mintage of 210,000

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

For those interested, the set of 50p's including a 2019 Kew are on sale from today.

These sets are limited to 3,500.

Make of it what you will, I have mine.. just wish they'd left it for a month or two, as this close to Christmas getting 10 wasn't an option.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/50-years-of-the-50p/

Kev

Crikey, I was a bit slow there. Not surprised they went so quickly.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:02 PM, craigy said:

and again the kew gardens from 2009 aint exactly rare is it with dozens of listings on ebay and the mintage of 210,000

The majority of which are snide "Chinese"

At this rate , if I ever wanted to sell my Kew , it would be my 1st encapsulation. Uuuuugg...I've said it.

kev..Are you going to cash out on your £90 set and make £700+ ?

I'd like to, but I don't see it happening this decade.

Currently they're "only" doing about 300, so a couple of years in the stock cupboard might help :)

The next instalment (BU) is now available, along with a very unhelpful queuing system which has kindly placed me at 30+ minutes even though I was at the site at 11:20.

Thanks RM.

And absolutely no clues about any figures prior to the site going live.... do I even need to stay up, or will this be another "unlimited" cash cow?

Only time will tell.

Maybe one day they'll put the price and the mintage in the damn email they send out 10 minutes after the site goes live and teh queue system kicks you back for 60 minutes.

In other news I have received some 11 more Victorias so far this year, I really must show them off at some point :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

The BU set appears to be unlimited mintage  see under under specification tab.

8 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

The next instalment (BU) is now available, along with a very unhelpful queuing system which has kindly placed me at 30+ minutes even though I was at the site at 11:20.

Thanks RM.

And absolutely no clues about any figures prior to the site going live.... do I even need to stay up, or will this be another "unlimited" cash cow?

Only time will tell.

Maybe one day they'll put the price and the mintage in the damn email they send out 10 minutes after the site goes live and teh queue system kicks you back for 60 minutes.

In other news I have received some 11 more Victorias so far this year, I really must show them off at some point :)

There would be no need to queue for unlimited mintage coins. Let’s now see the ripple effect on the 2009 Kew, prices may drop from here

1 hour ago, azda said:

There would be no need to queue for unlimited mintage coins.

Exactly, I mean... w.t.f.

If they said in the email or in the precursor advertisments "Unlimited, no need to rush".... simples, yawn, snooze and look much, much later.

be able to pick them up cheaper on ebay in a few weeks when everyone is lumbered with 10 sets, like the gruffalo, cheaper on ebay then the original asking price