British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Unwilling Numismatist

50 Years of the 50p (Set)

11 minutes ago, craigy said:

be able to pick them up cheaper on ebay in a few weeks when everyone is lumbered with 10 sets, like the gruffalo, cheaper on ebay then the original asking price 

Looking at how many are on ebay now, and that they're starting at 1p and there are about 500 listings, I think people have twigged what "unlimited" means..... so yep, I think many people will be crying soon lol.

Some still say "rare" and a couple are flagging a "Kew Gardens" but that isn't the 2009 currency coin... The gullible will probably still hooover some up, but I think these will be dropping in price like lead balloons within a day or two ;)

32 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Looking at how many are on ebay now, and that they're starting at 1p and there are about 500 listings, I think people have twigged what "unlimited" means..... so yep, I think many people will be crying soon lol.

Some still say "rare" and a couple are flagging a "Kew Gardens" but that isn't the 2009 currency coin... The gullible will probably still hooover some up, but I think these will be dropping in price like lead balloons within a day or two ;)

Unfortunately some people need a baseball bat around the head before they realise that Unlimited means exactly that.........I shake my head at some of these clowns paying OTT prices for something that will probably still be available in 6 months from the RM, greed and stupidity at its best

milk.jpg

there is a second set to the 50 years 50p thing to come yet 

And that will prove really hard to get, given this new queing system that randomly assigns slots at a given time.

3 hours ago, craigy said:

there is a second set to the 50 years 50p thing to come yet 

Another set? Will this be struck in kryptonite? They’ve already done a gold proof, silver proof and BU set, what more can they strike unless it’s different designs, at £3850 for the gold they were asking top end prices straight off the bat.

Edited by azda
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, azda said:

what more can they strike unless it’s different designs

yes different designs 

Designs b, d, e, h and i are the second set which are 1994 D-Day Landing, 2006 Victoria Cross Medal, 2006 Victoria Cross Acts of Bravery, 2015 Battle of Britain & 2016 Battle of Hastings. 

'The design of the said fifty pence gold, silver and cupro-nickel coins shall be either:

‘For the obverse impression either:

(a) Our effigy with the inscription “∙ ELIZABETH II ∙ DEI ∙ GRA ∙ REG ∙ FID ∙ DEF ∙ 2019”; or

(b) Our effigy with the inscription “∙ ELIZABETH II ∙ D ∙ G ∙ REG ∙ F ∙ D ∙ 50 PENCE ∙ 2019”,

and for the reverse either:

(a) the figure of Britannia, seated beside a lion, with a shield resting against her right side, holding a trident in her right hand and an olive branch in her left hand; and the figure “50” together with the words “NEW PENCE”; or

(b) a design representing the D-Day landings of the Allied invasion force heading for Normandy and filling the sea and sky, with the inscription “50 PENCE”; or

(c) the legs of a running athlete with a stylized stopwatch in the background and, with the inscription “50 PENCE”; or

(d) a depiction of the obverse and reverse of a Victoria Cross with the date “29. JAN 1856” in the centre of the reverse of the Cross, with the inscription “VC” “FIFTY PENCE”; or

(e) a depiction of a soldier carrying a wounded comrade with an outline of the Victoria Cross surrounded by a sunburst effect in the background with the inscription “FIFTY PENCE” ; or

(f) a fleur-de-lis superimposed over a globe and accompanied by the inscription “BE PREPARED” and the dates “∙ 1907 ∙” and “∙ 2007 ∙”, and the denomination “FIFTY PENCE”; or

(g) a design showing the pagoda, a building strongly associated with the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, encircled by a vine and accompanied by the dates “1759” and “2009”, with the word “KEW” at the base of the pagoda; or

(h) a design showing the scene from the Bayeux tapestry depicting King Harold with an arrow in his eye accompanied by the inscription “BATTLE OF HASTINGS 1066” and the date “2016”; or

(i) a design showing airmen running to their planes with enemy aircraft overhead accompanied by the inscription “THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN 1940”; or

(j) a design which depicts a repeating pattern of the current identity of Girlguiding UK, accompanied by the inscription “CELEBRATING ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF GIRLGUIDING UK” and the denomination “50 PENCE”.

The coins shall have a plain edge.’

Keep an eye on the Battle of Britain 50p, I wonder if they'll bugger up the denomination again.

6 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Keep an eye on the Battle of Britain 50p, I wonder if they'll bugger up the denomination again.

wonder what mintage was for them, they never really caught on, 

The RM still won't provide any clues - website still says mntage tbc, I'd love to know how many of each were minted, some were 4th portait no denomination, some 5th portait with denomination.

This time around they should be teh 5th portrait with denomination but that remains to be seen :)