British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

BSJ Auction - Is Anybody Else Having Difficulty With Approval to Bid?

@secret santa 

The registration section only takes two clicks to navigate to from our home page. From here it is an approval process which we must go through. Unfortunately, this does require someone to manually check bidders details and references. We always suggest registering at least 24 hours before, as this will avoid any disappointment in delayed approval during the auction.

We are always open to suggestions on how to improve the process for bidders.

1 hour ago, C_B said:

@secret santa 

The registration section only takes two clicks to navigate to from our home page. From here it is an approval process which we must go through. Unfortunately, this does require someone to manually check bidders details and references. We always suggest registering at least 24 hours before, as this will avoid any disappointment in delayed approval during the auction.

We are always open to suggestions on how to improve the process for bidders.

We did make suggestions about 12 months ago - and if you have read this thread you will note that I made a very specific criticism a couple or so days ago.

The shortcomings of your website have been made manifestly obvious already. 

It's not the registration process we're complaining about. It's all the rest !!!!

The title of the thread is that everyone seems to be having difficulty with being approved to bid. I've just taken a look through the full thread again, can only see a mention of the app not loading on your PC. The app is only for phones and tablets.

In terms of our website, bsjauctions.com is our main auction website. The two most used tabs are Auctions, which lists current and past auctions as PDFS with prices realised, and Bid Live which takes you through to the Live auction site - This is only available once a new auction is running.

If you do have any specific issues, please give us a call at the office and we will be happy to talk through.

• Like 1

I give up. You're right. I'm wrong. It makes absolute sense to go to one site to see past auctions and then have to go to another completely different site to see current auction lots and bid.

6 hours ago, C_B said:

The title of the thread is that everyone seems to be having difficulty with being approved to bid. I've just taken a look through the full thread again, can only see a mention of the app not loading on your PC. The app is only for phones and tablets.

In terms of our website, bsjauctions.com is our main auction website. The two most used tabs are Auctions, which lists current and past auctions as PDFS with prices realised, and Bid Live which takes you through to the Live auction site - This is only available once a new auction is running.

If you do have any specific issues, please give us a call at the office and we will be happy to talk through.

Well you clearly overlooked this post, or have chosen to disregard it as of no importance.

Also, why not develop an app which is also PC compatible? They do exist.

You might also want to read through this thread posted in November 2017 and also critical of your website. Nothing has changed since then. 

@1949threepence Our catalogues are laid out from the highest denomination down in chronological order. The app is made for tablets and phones, the website is designed for computers. I'm not sure what the confusion is or what would be the need? In terms of the 2017 post criticising the website, the images on the PDF are of course lower resolution as a viewer would struggle to open an 18GB file which we use for the printed versions.

@secret santa Current and past auctions are viewable on our bidding site auction mobility, showing high res images and results. The main website shows past auction PDFs, and we use auction mobility to run our live auctions.

If you have any issues in the future, please do email or call us directly as we rarely check forums for criticisms.

20 minutes ago, C_B said:

@1949threepence Our catalogues are laid out from the highest denomination down in chronological order. The app is made for tablets and phones, the website is designed for computers. I'm not sure what the confusion is or what would be the need? In terms of the 2017 post criticising the website, the images on the PDF are of course lower resolution as a viewer would struggle to open an 18GB file which we use for the printed versions.

@secret santa Current and past auctions are viewable on our bidding site auction mobility, showing high res images and results. The main website shows past auction PDFs, and we use auction mobility to run our live auctions.

If you have any issues in the future, please do email or call us directly as we rarely check forums for criticisms.

Re: emboldened text above - that assertion is factually incorrect. Even on the first page of this part of your website here not only are currency denominations chaotically mixed up together, but additionally, the first penny on the first page is dated 1862, another further down is dated 1858, and another beyond that, dated 1861. By logical definition that is not chronological order.

There is no confusion about the app. Any confusion clearly rests with you, as my paragraph above illustrates. If you're going to promote an app, it is odd not to make it available for all devices. Especially since it's conversely possible to access the website via tablet or smartphone, without the need for an app. 

As far as the quality of your photographs, you might like to examine the high resolution archive images available on LCA, DNW or Colin Cooke.

But.......your call at the end of the day. Just be aware that cyber footfall to your website and thus your auctions, will be lower than if the valid criticisms were sympathetically taken on board, rather than condescendingly dismissed.

That's all I have to say on this issue.  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Ok, I think a round of drinks is in order.....

I didn't like the drubbing I took in trying to register either, and was never successful. However another member helped me with bidding and so was able to get the main lot I was looking for. However, I do fear the next time around. So maybe will try to get registered 24 hours ahead of time - more maybe?

I think the comments made by Courtney are only going to be about the BSJ site of which he has given the oportunity to mail him / them should anyone wish to do so.

The tab on the Baldwin site directs you to them and they have nothing to do with the Baldwin site.

Both are completely seperate and different companies not even in the same building.

About twelve months ago i had trouble logging on and a phone call soon sorted everything out ,of which since i have never had a problem.

The baldwin site has been  in the same format for years and the BSJ added on only about eighteen months.

If anyone feels something could be improved or alternatively is Rang then comments IMO are better directed straight to either of the two companies rather than expecting them to discuss any issues on here.

I should perhaps also mention as a positive i have sold over twenty lots with them and been more than happy with the prices realised (on most :D ) and the service.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 2

No, the 2 sites I'm talking about are both BSJ sites - bsjauctions.com and bsjauctions.auctionmobility.com

But, like Mike I'm getting fed up with this so this is MY last word, too.

• Like 1

Found the app

IMG_8443.JPG

IMG_8442.JPG

On 1/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, C_B said:

Hi all, Courtney from BSJ auction team here. Myself and Sam take care of the auction registrations and approvals, so are always interested to hear your feedback.

We always advise to sign up for bidding 24 hours before the auction, giving us time to process the request and for you to call us if necessary. Unfortunately, you will need to register and be approved for each of our auctions, this is a security measure for us to monitor who will be bidding in our auction.

On our website, if you click Bid Live this will take you over to our bidding platform. The Auctions button will display any current auctions, and all past auctions. With the app, it won’t work on your PC, app’s are only useable on phones and tablets. You would have to visit our website to bid on a desktop computer.

Any questions or feedback, please do let us know and we can look into it!   

Hi Courtney,

I'm a bit disappointed that after several emails for an image of lot 85 on your auction 28 (Argentum), I still haven't even received an acknowledgement. I know the lot is not one of the biggest earners, but I would have expected at least a response! I hope it's due to a back-log or something similar and not because it only has a few hundred pounds as the estimate. I know it's not your fault personally, but I feel at liberty to have a little grumble as the whole BSJ experience is frustrating and seems convoluted in my mind. Cheers, Descartes.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 5:44 PM, 1949threepence said:

Re: emboldened text above - that assertion is factually incorrect. Even on the first page of this part of your website here not only are currency denominations chaotically mixed up together, but additionally, the first penny on the first page is dated 1862, another further down is dated 1858, and another beyond that, dated 1861. By logical definition that is not chronological order.

There is no confusion about the app. Any confusion clearly rests with you, as my paragraph above illustrates. If you're going to promote an app, it is odd not to make it available for all devices. Especially since it's conversely possible to access the website via tablet or smartphone, without the need for an app. 

As far as the quality of your photographs, you might like to examine the high resolution archive images available on LCA, DNW or Colin Cooke.

But.......your call at the end of the day. Just be aware that cyber footfall to your website and thus your auctions, will be lower than if the valid criticisms were sympathetically taken on board, rather than condescendingly dismissed.

That's all I have to say on this issue.  

@1949threepence    @PWA 1967 correctly said above that the link you provide 'here' is in fact the A H Baldwin & Son's website, nothing to do with us here at BSJ auctions. In which case I think you may be referencing their image quality and not those of BSJ.

The purpose of the app is to enable users on the go to bid via their phone or tablet, if you have access to a desktop computer there is no need to use an app when the website serves its purpose for bidding.

Again, any issues in future or during bidding time please email either courtney@bsjauctions.com or sam@bsjauctions.com 

12 hours ago, Descartes said:

Hi Courtney,

I'm a bit disappointed that after several emails for an image of lot 85 on your auction 28 (Argentum), I still haven't even received an acknowledgement. I know the lot is not one of the biggest earners, but I would have expected at least a response! I hope it's due to a back-log or something similar and not because it only has a few hundred pounds as the estimate. I know it's not your fault personally, but I feel at liberty to have a little grumble as the whole BSJ experience is frustrating and seems convoluted in my mind. Cheers, Descartes.

@Descartes Hi there, apologies for this I'm not sure why the email hasn't been passed onto us. My colleague Emma will send the image over to you shortly. Any requests in future, please feel free to email courtney@bsjauctions.com or sam@bsjauctions.com

Just taken a look at the PDF for Auction 28. The photos of lots 115 and 116 have been switched and lots 139 and 141-148 are described as "British and Wold Coins" in case you're interested............

Just now, secret santa said:

Just taken a look at the PDF for Auction 28. The photos of lots 115 and 116 have been switched and lots 139 and 141-148 are described as "British and Wold Coins" in case you're interested............

@secret santa Thank you for letting us know. We are currently working on updating the PDF but the errors were spotted and corrected on the bidding sites sixbid and numisbids.

2 hours ago, C_B said:

@Descartes Hi there, apologies for this I'm not sure why the email hasn't been passed onto us. My colleague Emma will send the image over to you shortly. Any requests in future, please feel free to email courtney@bsjauctions.com or sam@bsjauctions.com

Hi Courtney, 

Had a really nice email from Emma today. She sent me some images and I'm really pleased. Will definitely be bidding on this lot! 

Thanks for such a speedy response. I really appreciate it.

Descartes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C_B said:

@1949threepence    @PWA 1967 correctly said above that the link you provide 'here' is in fact the A H Baldwin & Son's website, nothing to do with us here at BSJ auctions. In which case I think you may be referencing their image quality and not those of BSJ.

The purpose of the app is to enable users on the go to bid via their phone or tablet, if you have access to a desktop computer there is no need to use an app when the website serves its purpose for bidding.

Again, any issues in future or during bidding time please email either courtney@bsjauctions.com or sam@bsjauctions.com 

Nothing to do with us then guv. Fair enough. Just so long as you realise that inevitably, given the Baldwin name, customers are going to still believe you are one and the same concern, as opposed to two uncommunicative, divorced, separate ones. 

Dropping the Baldwin name might help, given your resolute denial of accountability. 

19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Nothing to do with us then guv. Fair enough. Just so long as you realise that inevitably, given the Baldwin name, customers are going to still believe you are one and the same concern, as opposed to two uncommunicative, divorced, separate ones. 

I'm now confused:

If you Google A H Baldwin and click on Website you go to the Baldwin's website (https://www.baldwin.co.uk/); if you hover the cursor over the AUCTIONS tab it shows "Auction Catalogue Archive" but if you click on this AUCTIONS tab, it brings up a new window with https://bsjauctions.com/upcoming-auctions

Bid Live page and if you then click on BID LIVE it brings up the BID LIVE page (https://bsjauctions.com/bid-live)

and if you click on CLICK ON HERE TO CONTINUE, it brings up https://bsjauctions.auctionmobility.com/.

Very difficult to see how they're not all connected !

34 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I'm now confused:

If you Google A H Baldwin and click on Website you go to the Baldwin's website (https://www.baldwin.co.uk/); if you hover the cursor over the AUCTIONS tab it shows "Auction Catalogue Archive" but if you click on this AUCTIONS tab, it brings up a new window with https://bsjauctions.com/upcoming-auctions

Bid Live page and if you then click on BID LIVE it brings up the BID LIVE page (https://bsjauctions.com/bid-live)

and if you click on CLICK ON HERE TO CONTINUE, it brings up https://bsjauctions.auctionmobility.com/.

They are all connected. The only point being that the A H Baldwin & Sons site isn't run or monitored by us here in the auctions.

The Auctions tab on www.baldwin.co.uk shows either the "Auction Catalogue Archive" - these are the old Baldwin auction catalogues, or if you click the Auctions tab, it will take you to our website bsjauctions.com. These are the current auctions, of which are run by Baldwin's of St James's.

If you click the Bid Live tab on bsjauctions.com it will take you to our live bidding site on Auction Mobility.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

I'm now confused:

I just won't be bothering with them. The entire operation is confusing, frustrating and time consuming. As I said earlier though, their call. Up to them how they run their business.

I'll be sticking with the rest, especially DNW, which is a joy to use at all levels. 

• Like 1