British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Your grading opinions 1701 Halfcrown

takes a bit of getting used to how the slabbing terms transfer over to unslabbed equivalents 

Edited by rpeddie

😬

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

takes a bit of getting used to how the slabbing terms transfer over to unslabbed equivalents 

Trouble is, the slabbing terms (grades) are American. I have no quibble with their numerical scale - which allows for much more precision than 5 alphabetic grades - but I do get irritated by the use of AUnc to apply to preservation that's even below a UK EF.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

A UNC??? Sorry guys, but basic grading here... there is too much wear even for EF, though NEF would be fair perhaps. I stand by my GVF though possibly it's a bit better.

None of which should detract from its being a very attractive coin which I'd love to pieces if it was in my own collection. But it doesn't even approach Uncirculated. 

I was in the GVF or AU55 area opinion, the lustre does extend all over the coin. Williams hair for me is the weakness of the coin, the attached i would say is a weak strike considering the corresponding side is also weak but Mry's hair is sharply struck and little wear on Williams drapery

Screenshot 2019-02-02 at 11.56.51.png

• Like 2

The Sheldon scale and American grading in general is set to a different standard than UK grading. Lustre is a critical factor in terms of establishing a grade above EF45. Lustre is not just measured by reflectivity but the actual quality of the surfaces - especially the fields. There are pick up points to determine wear from circulation over that of a weak strike. Further, understanding dies varieties and determining whether a coin is a early or late die state example helps assessing a grade. There are mint state coins with less than satisfactory strikes- but that is how they were made. Perhaps the better and more satisfying term should be "as struck"- that seems to be used by some of the UK auction houses. Not all coins within  the same series or even within the same grade are created equal. The coin should tell the story.

As for the 1689 - if that was graded by NGC, I suspect it may grade 50- possibly 53 given the detail in Mary's hair- Again, lustre would be critical with this coin as well.

3 hours ago, coinkat said:

As for the 1689 - if that was graded by NGC, I suspect it may grade 50- possibly 53 given the detail in Mary's hair- Again, lustre would be critical with this coin as well.

I doubt it makes any difference due to the lottery effect, but if there is any consistency, this W&M 1st reverse was in a 58 slab.

c2107 1689 halfcrown L over M.jpg

• Like 1

13359450_800x600.jpg?v=1549155835377

I just posted my 1689 half crown- it is a 53 graded by PCGS

Hopefully a bigger picture 

1701%20OBV.png

1701%20REV.png

Edited by azda

22 hours ago, coinkat said:

The Sheldon scale and American grading in general is set to a different standard than UK grading. 

Agreed. Nothing wrong with that. My gripe is with the term AUnc being used (even with a lowish number that reflects the true grade) when a coin has had enough wear that it cannot be used in the same sentence as "Uncirculated" (except perhaps with "not"!)

5 hours ago, azda said:

Hopefully a bigger picture 

1701%20OBV.png

Photobucket... so no, it's exactly the same size! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Agreed. Nothing wrong with that. My gripe is with the term AUnc being used (even with a lowish number that reflects the true grade) when a coin has had enough wear that it cannot be used in the same sentence as "Uncirculated" (except perhaps with "not"!)

Photobucket... so no, it's exactly the same size! :lol:

Lol.......looks like it, but does show the toning better

• Like 1

AU is not without controversy - I see your point. 

• Like 1

So the coin has been dropped off now, 26th Feb planned pick up again. Time to sit back and relax.

Re Azda's 1701 halfcrown.

IMHO, NEF British AU 53.

That is a lovely coin indeed. I will have to go for a "58" as there is essentially the most minimal of WEAR. The strike is not as a proof, but I suggest that key areas reflect this:  brow, cheek, nose, drapery below bust and hair on the obverse, and the top shield (left and right margins) as well as the crown on reverse show what is IMO incomplete striking and NOT wear. The denticles are also high points that many descriptors omit, and these not completely struck up either which is giving the false impression of wear. There is an odd "bag" contact, but the fields very clean overall with lustre muted as one would expect.

In short, I must admit this coin is not in the foci of what I collect, but if so would buy (at least with the usual caveat of it being a photo and not in hand) this coin priced as an AEF all day long.

11 hours ago, Coinery said:

Nice coin, but at it's money there, maybe a little overpriced. As collectors, we like to have a little something left in the coin 😁

Well, it's nearly that time to pick this coin up, i called yesterday but the grading week was still on-going and also have to wait for the bill to land in my email, the lady did say it was done although the grades haven't been uploaded which is one thing i do find frustrating about NGC, PCGS list the grade virtually as soon as it's gone through the graders final look over. I suppose i'll just have to wait and see what it is when i go back..........

Munich coin fair this weekend also, even got the boss to come along with me, a coinie in the making, think i've bored her into eventual submission 😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gets EF from me - yummy coin

2 hours ago, azda said:

Nice coin, but at it's money there, maybe a little overpriced. As collectors, we like to have a little something left in the coin 😁

That was the point of the post ;) 

16 minutes ago, Coinery said:

That was the point of the post ;) 

Yes, but if they at least gave people the chance to chase the price a little it would be more fun, at least give us a chance to make a few bids, they should have just added it into their shop at a fixed price.....