British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ozjohn

Keyboard Logger

II recently installed a freebie keyboard logger App from  a PC magazine I have a subscription for. As it happens I also installed an update to my Epson printer driver after scanning for keyboard loggers

After the driver was installed I ran the keyboard logger app again and found that the driver app installation had installed a keyboard logger. I cannot think why Epson would want to do such

a thing other than they can..  As I run my PC via a VPN I can only conclude that Epson was responsible. If anyone is interested to install a keylogger they can be found on CNET.

Whats a keyboard logger explain, please.🤔

8 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Whats a keyboard logger explain, please.🤔

It's a trojan virusware intended to discover usernames, passwords and other confidential information.

3 hours ago, Nick said:

It's a trojan virusware intended to discover usernames, passwords and other confidential information.

So why would @ozjohn install one? :o

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 2

Upinsmoke is not quite correct the keylogger detects malware installed on YOUR PC by a third party. which does not seem to be detected by my antivirus software Malwarebytes. that seems to make a decision on if it is dangerous or not. IMO anything installed on your PC without your permission is potentially dangerous and should be removed

The keylogger does not allow you to monitor other peoples PCs.

Edited by ozjohn

Well I am with @UPINSMOKE - the only use of the term keylogger I have heard of is related to illegal attempts to steal passwords. Keyloggers are most usually Malware of some form.

In case I had been wrong all these years I tried Wikipedia and got this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging

which seems to confirm what I always understood. So either @ozjohn has been hoodwinked into installing malware, or we are talking at cross purposes!

@ozjohn what keylogger have you installed ?

I am familiar with Malware Bytes and use it myself, but I'm not familiar with anyone wanting to willingly install a keylogger unless for security (that should probably read stalking) purposes or development.

As a general rule I run avast free on my PC's as it's free and normally well behaved and reliable.

Kev

Abelsoft Antilogger  free with APC magazine. I looked on Malwarebytes forum and it seems that Malwarebytes makes a decision if it considers the keylogger is dangerous and will alert you if it considers it a threat. IMO your keystrokes are of no business of a third party and in addition the security that surrounds customers' is poor and data is being hacked all the time. I do not want my banking details to be known by a third party.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Well I am with @UPINSMOKE - the only use of the term keylogger I have heard of is related to illegal attempts to steal passwords. Keyloggers are most usually Malware of some form.

In case I had been wrong all these years I tried Wikipedia and got this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging

which seems to confirm what I always understood. So either @ozjohn has been hoodwinked into installing malware, or we are talking at cross purposes!

Perhaps there is some confusion here the intention is to remove 3rd party installed keylogger malware not install malware on other peoples' PCs. It was meant as a warning. You can take it of leave it. I think the installation of keylogging malware on your PC by 3rd parties is unethical and represent a security risk to your personal data, passwords etc and if possible should be removed. This app seems to do this.

img007.jpg

Ah, all becomes clear :)

I'm satisfied that malwarebytes cleans up everything out there- you do need to keep it updated though.

Yes - I just checked that Avast does also include the anti-logger function, so I think I am OK there.

I admire your confidence but when I run anti logger this app seems to pick up  key logger malware monitoring your PC. Although it declares they are benign and and in addition were not detected by Malwarebytes. However my contention is that they should not be there to record your key strokes. If you are happy with this fine but I have to draw your attention to the lack of security shown to clients personal data by companies does not inspire me with confidence and IMO better not to let them have this data in the first place. So when there is a big data leak in the future and your bank a/c is ripped don't say you weren't warned.

Some functions of software are recorded as keyloggers because they instercept certain combinations of keystrokes.

In the example of Epson,this can be a little more sinister as it's their customer reaserch and feedback program... which can run regardless of if you choose to participate.

Microsoft windows has a keylogger for their "telemitry", aka spying on you.

It depends how paranoid you want to get about your online privacy, but pretty much, if you have an internet connection and a web browser/email client, you will leak a certain amount of data.

On 11 January 2019 at 12:00 AM, ozjohn said:

Abelsoft Antilogger  free with APC magazine. I looked on Malwarebytes forum and it seems that Malwarebytes makes a decision if it considers the keylogger is dangerous and will alert you if it considers it a threat. IMO your keystrokes are of no business of a third party and in addition the security that surrounds customers' is poor and data is being hacked all the time. I do not want my banking details to be known by a third party.

ANTI-logger. Ok, that makes sense now. You'd install anti-virus software but not a virus!

The Abelsoft Antilogger has IDed a program called Dataexchange host .exe as a key and mouse logger. On investigation this is a Win 10 file that records your keystrokes and mouse movements. For what reason I don't know. Although it is considered benign it could be a target for any hacker trying to access your computer and possibly one of the vulnerabilities built into Microsoft operating systems.