British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Submitting Coins to Overseas TPGs Customs Issues

I am wondering if anyone has experienced any issues regarding sending to  or receiving back from TPGs in the US or UK. If they are intercepted how do you prove that they are yours and were

purchased in your country where all duties, GST etc have been paid.

7 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I am wondering if anyone has experienced any issues regarding sending to  or receiving back from TPGs in the US or UK. If they are intercepted how do you prove that they are yours and were

I suppose the obvious answer would be receipts from reputable auction houses, e bay, PayPal etc. Surely they would pass muster. 

Although it's not always possible to produce a receipt or other provenance for every coin. 

8 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I asked PCGS USA this once upon a time, because i had some freebie vouchers for grading that PCGSEUROPE wouldn't take, they could only be used if you sent directly to America yourself,  the answer was incredibly complicated and intricate but it is possible but seemed so much of a ball ache i didn't bother. Luckily enough i now have the option of NGC grading here in Munich which cuts out around €100 in postage fees alone.......

If you have a PCGS or NGC office or dealer who uses either of those 2 companies they will do all that legwork for you as i have sent coins to PCGS Paris which in turn were forwarded to America for grading there

The "ball ache" documentation is called an ATA Carnet and is usually issued by your local Chamber of Commerce. Basically it's a temporary import/export document which must stay with the goods at all times.

They don't make it easy do they. 

37 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

They don't make it easy do they. 

No, but impex transactions may give rise to a tax liability, so it is simply ensuring that taxable goods are accounted for. Without any paperwork, anybody could claim an item was their property originally and avoid paying any taxes due. Yes it is ball-ache for the individual, but for a business, the directors have a legal responsibility to trade within the law. Any business transaction has tax implications.

The paperwork is just recognition of the fact that not everyone has a moral compass, plus it simplifies the aggregation of data for financial transfers between countries via the banking system. It would be impossible to operate if all the info was only held individually.

• Like 3

And I should mention that in my time as a freight forwarder we hated Carnets. Temporary exports were hell to document and police, something always went wrong. One company that exclusively handled Rock tours with all of the amps, lights, instruments and scaffolding, charged 12 x the going freight rate and were lucky to make a profit most years. If you can find a coin dealer with a bulk shipping arrangement with a TPG it's by far the best arrangement.