British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
hazelman

1860 penny C1 obverse

Secret Santa mentions in his varieties an obverse C1 - which is easily identified by the the fact that the "linear circle on the left, ends at the 2nd bead below the bust". Has this ever been found on a thin rim?

That should read a 1860 British 1 penny C1

Not to my knowledge. As I (and Michael Gouby) say, it's only found on proofs F2-5.

Sadly the ‘photobucket’ logo appears over the vital area on your coin,  from what I can see the linear circle does seem to fade out early but the beaded border does not touch the base of the bust as it should on C1 so could just be a C with die fill. Interestingly both my F7’s are probably the same as yours, but my F6’s have the longer linear circle on the left as per the obv C description.

Jerry

I am looking at photos of mine, may be clearer in the hand. But as the linear circle can be prone to die fill the proximity of beads to bust is probably a more definitive indicator.

Jerry

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

Not to my knowledge. As I (and Michael Gouby) say, it's only found on proofs F2-5.

Thats what i rread on your varieties page - hence the confusion. Im rather slow so forgive me - but the coin in hand shows that the left linear circle ends at the second bead below the bust.

3 hours ago, jelida said:

Sadly the ‘photobucket’ logo appears over the vital area on your coin,  from what I can see the linear circle does seem to fade out early but the beaded border does not touch the base of the bust as it should on C1 so could just be a C with die fill. Interestingly both my F7’s are probably the same as yours, but my F6’s have the longer linear circle on the left as per the obv C description.

Jerry

Jerry if you click on the photo does it not clear? so you think this is a F7?

Edited by hazelman

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I am looking at photos of mine, may be clearer in the hand. But as the linear circle can be prone to die fill the proximity of beads to bust is probably a more definitive indicator.

Jerry

thanks

8 minutes ago, hazelman said:

Thats what i rread on your varieties page - hence the confusion. Im rather slow so forgive me - but the coin in hand shows that the left linear circle ends at the second bead below the bust.

I can't access your photograph.

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I can't access your photograph.

ok - will try to download a new pic

2 hours ago, hazelman said:

Jerry if you click on the photo does it not clear? so you think this is a F7?

I can’t tell without the reverse, that is different from F6;  F1,  F6 and F7 all use (Gouby) obverse C though F6 is much the commonest.

Jerry