British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Watch, great deal at H Samuels

Don't wear watches, don't know anyone who does.

These modern bells and whistles things are so ugly, a bit like being shouted at by someone's wrist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

These modern bells and whistles things are so ugly, a bit like being shouted at by someone's wrist.

My apologies if it offended you

It does a bit! :lol::lol::lol: Though I'd never hold that against you Dave. Have a great 2019.

I quite like these wooden watches:-

wooden watch.png

My current Ebel. I brought this classic wave slim version before they succumbed to fashion and started making oversized chunky watches. The bezel is gold and the waves of the bracelet are indented and so the gold plating does not wear. 

1682134403_ebel-Copy.jpg.9ebe3d1f13dc143e87bdc29ffe8ab724.jpg

Nice. Should I ever take up watch wearing again this would be the kind of thing. Classic, understated, aesthetically pleasing. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Let me just say, watches have progressed since 1960s, most watches come with bells and whistles these days. The post was more to do with getting roughly 60% off the price which may interest 1 or 2, but i know we cannot please everyone.......I guess someone in the 3rd world would be offended if we showed them the price we pay for some old coins, just food for thought

This week, just about every shop, on every high street in the land, will be offering 60% off the tat they can't shift. 

I take your point re. modern watches, but still assert they are aesthetically unattractive. They all look as though designed by manufacturers of children's toys.

For day to day use I have a Rado Florence that my wife bought me for my 50th birthday. She purchesed is from the Abu Dhabi duty free when we were passing through that way. Not seen this model over here to my have been only available in the middle east.

A couple of years age my wife's cousin was visiting from California and she gave me this, I call it my drug dealer watch. It weighs all of 600g.

Invicta (Large).jpg

Edited by Gary D

I shall now retire to a darkened room for a quiet lie down and from where to best ponder the mysteries of existence. Please rouse me when all this unpleasantness is over… 

:lol:

Peace and good will to you all for 2019. 

Edited by Michael-Roo

My sunday best watch is what my father gave to me. It's a 1970s 18k Eterna Matic self wind.

eterna (Large).jpg

I do like vintage watches. I was indeed tempted by this Longines Conquest Heritage. At the end, I decided that owning another nice watch is an extra bit of hassle I don't want. One need to get a watch winder to keep it running and it cost quite a bit to get it serviced every so many years. So I am sticking with one for now. 

1583626661_longines-Copy.thumb.jpg.8cf9beeb0986204481f7e144ad5fe5d7.jpg

1230762568_longines2-Copy.thumb.jpg.60cd6dfae4d4b30060eaf65f11fd6e2b.jpg

The choice of a watch is of course a very personal thing and depends on what you want it to do. For me, I want it to tell the time and date, be water proof, looks good, have a decent movement, and not so obvious.  I also prefer if the brand is not so well-known. Obviously, I am just being a bit old fashioned and many people nowadays like their watches to do a lot more and literally to double as a computer.

Ring the bells for Christmas Timex, Fa la la la la, la la la la

Ha, Ha!

It's probably less accurate than the stories in the Daily Express. 😀 

And £212.38 is a really expensive way of declaring insanity 

Edited by Sword

Seriously though, Citizen makes eco drive watches which are powered by light. 

I changed the battery of my Rotary once at Timpsons at around £20 and they gave me a certificate so that all future battery changes will be done for free. (Obviously, it is not the place to go for expensive watches)