British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
CartwheelTwopence

Cardboard 2x2 holders effect on toning

Hi, so I have an enquiry about coin storage. I currently house my collection in lighthouse self adhesive coin holders, laid down flat in coin trays. However I have noticed that after a year or two some coins have toned quickly or unevenly, often just on one side like. I’ve heard these holders are good for longer term storage - at least for a few years anyway - so i wondered why this was and if there is anything I am doing wrong? And tips for alternative storage as I cannot risk the rest of my collection going the same way. Thanks.

IMO, there is sulfur in the cardboard portion of the holder - this subliminates (has a gaseous degradation) and will penetrate even "sealed" holders such as those you mentioned....

Thank you, also wanted to ask if there is any potential problem of housing these cardboard holders in an album with pvc pages?

Absolutely. Storage is a real problem - I have many "lesser" coins in 2x2s with this cardboard outer & wish there was a better low cost solution.

9 hours ago, CartwheelTwopence said:

Thank you, also wanted to ask if there is any potential problem of housing these cardboard holders in an album with pvc pages?

I think I've heard that the PVC vapours can get through the plastic.

I wouldn't risk it anyway.

18 hours ago, CartwheelTwopence said:

Hi, so I have an enquiry about coin storage. I currently house my collection in lighthouse self adhesive coin holders, laid down flat in coin trays. However I have noticed that after a year or two some coins have toned quickly or unevenly, often just on one side like. I’ve heard these holders are good for longer term storage - at least for a few years anyway - so i wondered why this was and if there is anything I am doing wrong? And tips for alternative storage as I cannot risk the rest of my collection going the same way. Thanks.

It could possibly be something in the adhesive.

The cardboard 2x2's that I use (when I do use them), are those that are sealed with staples. The caveat with those are that you have to be careful not to staple the coin.... or damage the coin with the stapler, etc......

Hi Cartwheel,

just as an extra couple of questions, you say that once the coins are in the coin holders then they are stored flat in coin trays. How are your coin tray then stored, are they in a cupboard or left out somewhere?

The reason I am asking is it may be another factor that is causing the toning especially as you say it's often on one side.

I would have guessed that Lighthouse would have become aware if there was a problem with their holders or the adhesive they are using. Are they genuine Lighhouse holders?

Just trying to eliminate possibility 

Ian

I have been using lighthouse self adhesive 2x2s for a couple of years before moving to quadrums and never noticed any issues. I rather liked the way the coins were sealed in. Ian's question on how you store the coin trays is valid I think.

There are different types of PVCs and the "unplastacized" ''safe vinyl''  - '28UN should be low risk enough if used with 2x2s. But I personally won't use any type of PVCs and would stick with mylar / PET. (You can now even get quadrums which prevent the coins inside from toning but they cost more than the standard ones.)

I’ve got a couple of mint cupronickel and one copper coin that have been in these flips for around 10 years without change. I’ve never found any issues with the many hundreds I’ve used over the years either, I personally think they’re superb.

One thing I have always been obsessive about however is cleaning the coins with pure acetone before sealing them up. For anyone who has ever run a soaked cotton bud around the outside rim of a coin to remove the gunk of a thousand careful fingers, you will already know the kind of residues you are locking away with your coins. This incidentally has always been one of my main issues with slabbing. I have broken out and ‘cleaned’ slabbed coins that have left cotton buds looking like they’ve been  picked up off the floor of a garage.

• Like 2

I have been using them for nearly 10 years and I have not noticed anything untoward (toning wise) with them .I store them standing edgeways in cases with sachets of silica in them .

Same method as Mick with no issues. Longterm storage also 10+ years. 

I check them every few months for any changes and replenish the silica packs. 

Absolutely no issues with them at all.