British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Over the last few months I have been recording my collection. Shortly before leaving my previous employer I had put my entire collection under the inspection microscope and photographed them. Although the resolutuion is great the end results have been mixed in that the colours have come out understated and many of the proofs show a flat field where it should be mirrored. Another problem has been that some coins have taken a purple ting which I believe is a fault on the file saving process. Anyway I was made redundent so I'm unable to repeat any of the picture.

Anyway for what it's worth here it is.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=943941AD323D5647!135&cid=943941AD323D5647

• Like 16

Very nice - I like the little cards too.

Awesome. Fantastic detail, and amazing collection.

Although one of your 1922 shillings is a mirror image, rather than a true representation.  

I like these collections, yours and Paddy's. I wish I had my blip together enough to do the same. Congratulations on a fine collection and presentation.

I've fixed the 1922 shilling now. The original photos are 6MB bit files but to get the whole collection onto Onedrive I had to crop and JPG them.

18 hours ago, Gary D said:

Over the last few months I have been recording my collection. Shortly before leaving my previous employer I had put my entire collection under the inspection microscope and photographed them. Although the resolutuion is great the end results have been mixed in that the colours have come out understated and many of the proofs show a flat field where it should be mirrored. Another problem has been that some coins have taken a purple ting which I believe is a fault on the file saving process. Anyway I was made redundent so I'm unable to repeat any of the picture.

Anyway for what it's worth here it is.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=943941AD323D5647!135&cid=943941AD323D5647

Gary , you've placed the same obverse picture on the 1913 Penny  F175 as on the F176.  Easily done with all the work you've put in. :D

• Like 2

Thanks I'll fix it in the morning, it's gratifying that people are look that closely.

Freemans 176 now fixed.

The picture for Davies 2182P is showing the English proof rather than the Scottish.

Cracking collection BTW.

1951 Proof Shilling fixed. 🙂

I don't do coin envy very often, but seeing an F192A 1922 penny did my head in!

Does finding this gem come with a good story?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I don't do coin envy very often, but seeing an F192A 1922 penny did my head in!

Does finding this gem come with a good story?

I bought it from London Coins some years ago. Not cheap but I think it must have been a quiet day. I paid just over £1200, would be nice to think it has gone up a bit since.

If I recall I was the only bidder and had to up my bid to make the reserve.

Edited by Gary D
additional comment
  • Like 3

Wow- amazing price, IMHO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gary D said:

I bought it from London Coins some years ago. Not cheap but I think it must have been a quiet day. I paid just over £1200, would be nice to think it has gone up a bit since.

Gary, if it's OK with you I'll add this coin to my rarest penny site as it's only the 6th specimen I've seen. Do you remember the exact date of purchase ?

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Gary, if it's OK with you I'll add this coin to my rarest penny site as it's only the 6th specimen I've seen. Do you remember the exact date of purchase ?

It was London Coins Lot 1076 3rd Sept 2006, £1100 plus premium.

2 hours ago, Gary D said:

It was London Coins Lot 1076 3rd Sept 2006, £1100 plus premium.

Thanks

Richard

Ok so many have had a look. Photos of plate sized coins does not give the best impression and makes one wonder if they are really of good enough/desirable quality. That aside I'm comming up to retirement so it's time to sell and start the next adventure.

I would  prefer to shift the whole collection in one go. Is the collection good enough to get one of the auction houses involve. What other options are there. Thoughts and opinions please.

Auction houses will accept anything they can make money on, just as any other business would. The odd one might reject it on image grounds, but most would be ok given the quantity of coins involved IMO.

The known valuable single pieces will remain so, but the remainder would need a significant amount of bulking in order to raise the lot value to a sensible level. A handful of VIP proofs of each reign and denomination would have helped attract the money because they sell for a hundreds/thousands compared to a few tens of pounds at best. Even a single VIP proof of each denomination/type from G5 & G6 would attract the person looking for just an example. Although there are a handful of later pieces, it would make the collection appear 'complete' if a representative was available of each type from 1926 on.

You could sell to a dealer either acting on commission or as a straight sale. The fact that you have already imaged the collection might be a good selling point as it would alleviate a lot of work re-imaging for little gain. A handful with the odd colours could be redone, but the majority look ok. One downside to the dealer route is the prevalence of 20th century material on eBay with which you will be competing. For common pieces the main audience will be found on eBay as opposed to people who scour dealers' lists or sites and these mostly expect to get everything for 99p with free P&P.

The decision will in large part be determined by how quickly you want to sell.

• Like 1

Would Colin Cooke be a better route than LCA? 

He sold Tony Crocker's pennies at what looked like proper prices- shame really, since I bought some of them!

Maybe take out all the ones  with a realistic value of  about £100 + to sell at auction individually with a sensible reserve on each lot.

The ones left i would sell to a dealer rather than putting groups together in auction ,they will want to see them before commiting to a price , however most will travel if they know your a serious seller or you could take them to a show.You will know the dealers you can trust and its easy to get a courier to deliver them being another option.

All the ones less than say £40 are IMO not worth the hassle of listing individually on ebay ,some may sell for a bit more than expected and some for a lot less so selling them in one go for a sensible price is much quicker with know returns ,postage or looney buyers.Possibly put the ones on ebay at between £40 /£100 as a BIN for a few weeks to see if some go.

The only other option would be to book a table at a busy fair for yourself but you may not wish to go down that route and again costs involved.

Its a shame to break up a fantastic collection however good luck. 

There are lots of buyers on here (although a lot dont post) so definately worth posting on this thread should you decide what to do with them.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Would Colin Cooke be a better route than LCA? 

He sold Tony Crocker's pennies at what looked like proper prices- shame really, since I bought some of them!

Not only Tony Crocker, but also Bernie Workman, the Copthorne collection and the Alderley collection. Plus others. 

I'd say Colin Cooke was exactly the right place for a 20th century collection. Most would go. Then maybe e bay for the unsolds.  

Only Lee will know the answer to that and worth a call although would be a thousand lots approx unless all the cheap ones were taken out.

Most of the auctions mentioned 150/200 Lots have relied and included the big ticket items as Rob mentioned coins at over £1K to make the auction worthwhile and although there may be quite a few (i only looked at the pennies) photos ,catalogue etc having so many would be a lot to manage especially for coins of less than say £30.

Lee would definately be one of the people i would ask to buy them or maybe do an auction of all the better pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Only Lee will know the answer to that and worth a call although would be a thousand lots approx unless all the cheap ones were taken out.

Most of the auctions mentioned 150/200 Lots have relied and included the big ticket items as Rob mentioned coins at over £1K to make the auction worthwhile and although there may be quite a few (i only looked at the pennies) photos ,catalogue etc having so many would be a lot to manage especially for coins of less than say £30.

Lee would definately be one of the people i would ask to buy them or maybe do an auction of all the better pieces.

There's tons of quality there, Pete, quite apart from the pennies. Gary's halfcrown collection is superb, and includes a high end 1905. There's also a 1934 crown. Right across the board Gary has painstakingly assembled virtually every type and sub type. Something there for everyone interested in this era, I'd venture. I'm sure even if the ordinary specimens were included, most of them would also go, albeit for lower prices, as collectors hone in on those gaps in their own collections.

I can say for sure there are a number of Gary's pennies I'd be most interested in. 

i think another and the most important bit is how much the final cheque is for 🙂

Having sold through a few different auctions both coins and banknotes being good to buy from can be different than good to sell with.

its important to look at the total fees as its easy to see prices coins have sold for but important to look at what you would actually receive.

Everything will sell but not much fun if you risk only getting a small percentage of the true value.