British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Lost_shilling

1854 Penny: Fake or not?

Hi there!

I am here to learn.

From what I saw from looking at several pictures online, this is a 1854 Plain Trident Penny.

I refrained from bidding on it because of the position of the colon that follows the R on the reverse. Pictures of certified coins I have found online lead me to think it is too low on this example. Moreover, I have found images of fakes where the colon is low too.

Looking for experts to chime in!

Rev1854.jpg

Obv1854a.jpg

It is an OT, Ornamental Trident. If you are comparing with a PT then you will see there are subtle differences. The Colons are all over the place with Copper Pennies and Halfpennies.

The fakes are more crisply struck and side by side with an authentic coin you will see the distinct design differences on both the Obv and Rev, I can't see any problems with this coin, CP1854 are a very large mintage and you can easily pick up very decent examples for relatively very little money.

• Like 3

Take a look at my Penny Varieties site below for decent pictures of the various obverse and reverse designs. And, as John says, colon positions can vary enormously.

This is my OT 1854, the colon after the R on the reverse is also very low (lower than the example in your pics?). It has been slabbed and authenticated, hope it helps (a bit) even if it's not a PT!

1854_1d_06_cgs_80_uin_39472_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus

Here's a plain trident. :)

1854 1d PT (3).jpg