British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Instead of a coin, why not......

Decided to invest in a decent watch after the Ryal failure, anyone else get sidetracked with other passions?

I've also seen a car, but that's going to take some convincing the boss, we'll wait and see after New Year

571E1806-D3D3-46DC-90BC-11B0BBCE09DD.JPG

I spotted an SL500 Merc not long ago, and in a fit of enthusiasm bought it. Trouble is, I already have 3 other cars, and I rarely go very far!!!

Cars and art for me.   

I love driving, and having a proper driver's car is something I will always hope to keep doing.  Proper cars can be had at practically any budget of course. I currently have a 9 year old BMW M3 saloon (the one with the V8 engine, and a manual gearbox) and a 3 year old Porsche Cayman GT4. 

As for art, I like all kinds of art from representational to completely abstract, whether pictures or sculptures. The house may resemble an art gallery sometimes, but that just makes me smile.

I would love a nice watch (and one in particular, a TAG Heuer Monaco Gulf Edition) but cannot currently justify spending the money on it as a treat to myself.  Well done for doing so!

I brought a nice looking ebel many years ago. However, I have had a few regrets since as it cost so much to change the battery. £95 it cost me last time. Automatic watches are really nice but they are less accurate than quartz and require servicing every 5 years or so. 

5 hours ago, Sword said:

I brought a nice looking ebel many years ago. However, I have had a few regrets since as it cost so much to change the battery. £95 it cost me last time. Automatic watches are really nice but they are less accurate than quartz and require servicing every 5 years or so. 

My goal is to change the watch each year, and each year add some money towards the next one. The people i bought this one from will buy back the watch i have, but i plan to wear this watch only at weekends or holiday as i work with oil and want to keep it in pristine condition as i would a coin. so next year i plan to add maybe €2k for the next one and hope this one might increase in price 😁

I gave up wearing a watch in 1986! (broke two that year and took the hint), so Tim Cook can stop wondering where his lost profits are. :lol:

• Like 1

Upgrading every year? Love to see the timepiece you will be wearing in 15 years time. 

On 12/25/2018 at 10:45 PM, Peckris 2 said:

I gave up wearing a watch in 1986! (broke two that year and took the hint), so Tim Cook can stop wondering where his lost profits are. :lol:

Bizarrely, me too- 1986, broke a watch, my father gave me his old one, and that was promptly eaten by a lift door

when loading PA gear in flight cases into a Romford nightclub.  Working with big loudspeakers and their huge magnets didn't fit in

with my watches anyway........and I didn't miss the warty lump that I had for twenty years from where the winders would dig into the back of my hand....

• Like 1

Stopped wearing a watch in 1980 when the option was inadvertently shorting out HV electrics with me as the earthing rod, or living happily ever after.

• Like 1

How did you guys tell the time then? Nowadays, many people don't wear watches and just use their mobile phones. But mobiles weren't exactly common in the 1980s. 

Everybody else had one, as did the workplace, the pub, the TV schedule gave an approximation, the car probably had one, bedside alarm, church spires, bus and railway stations etc. I'm not saying there wasn't any means of telling the time, just that I didn't have to carry it around on my wrist because other alternatives were available - just as they are today.

You have to remember that we used to walk and look around at our surroundings because there was no desperate need to glue your eyes to the mobile screen, to the exclusion of life around you.

4 hours ago, Sword said:

How did you guys tell the time then? Nowadays, many people don't wear watches and just use their mobile phones. But mobiles weren't exactly common in the 1980s. 

In those days there were clocks everywhere. Walk down any main street in any town and you could see the time. Now public clocks have all but disappeared. I use till receipts sometimes...

I like oddball things which are not usually investments, but bought for interest's sake. Acquisitions in the past couple years include an icon and some books.

There's nothing as soothing and relaxing as an old clock ticking and whirring in the background.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fubar said:

There's nothing as soothing and relaxing as an old clock ticking and whirring in the background.

Or a recording of the sea breaking on some shore.

• Like 2

On 28 December 2018 at 12:31 AM, Rob said:

I like oddball things which are not usually investments, but bought for interest's sake. Acquisitions in the past couple years include an icon and some books.

Couldn't agree more Rob. This past year we've bought a Wei Dynasty brick shrine (C3rd AD), a Red Figure Pelike (C3rd BC), an Anatolian ceramic bull (C24th-21st BC), and a European bronze pilgrim badge (C15th AD). Each gives me pleasure every time I look at them.

• Like 1