British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JLS

Charles I sixpence - crown mintmark - ID ?

I recently acquired this Charles I sixpence. It was sold as a coin of the Dovey Furnace mint (i.e. Spink 2910 !!), but as it lacks the Aberystwyth plumes, and given the price I got it at, I assume it is a Tower mint coin. The obverse bust looks similar to Sharp E5/2 for the shillings...the "neat Aberystwyth bust"; the crown mintmark is different to that which I've seen before for the Tower mint coinage - anyone got any ideas ? Thanks for looking ! 

Obverse attached. 

Capture2.PNG

1 hour ago, JLS said:

I recently acquired this Charles I sixpence. It was sold as a coin of the Dovey Furnace mint (i.e. Spink 2910 !!), but as it lacks the Aberystwyth plumes, and given the price I got it at, I assume it is a Tower mint coin. The obverse bust looks similar to Sharp E5/2 for the shillings...the "neat Aberystwyth bust"; the crown mintmark is different to that which I've seen before for the Tower mint coinage - anyone got any ideas ? Thanks for looking !

It's just a regular Tower 3a sixpence (S2813). The shape of the crown mark is not important as there were many punches of varying size covering the six silver denominations, not to mention the gold as well.

Sold as a Dovey Furnace 6d? Yet another demonstration of the unfailing ability of people to identify only the rarest possible option.

Despite the Tower 6ds occupying a full page in Spink's tome, there being no plume above the shield on the coin in question and virtually all priced in the low pounds (for this type £50 fine, £200 VF), the vendor remarkably manages to pick out the one priced at £1350 fine and £4500 VF, which although not illustrated, is described as similar to the shilling as is the 4d which is illustrated.

With no example in John Hulett's collection nor Lord Stewartby's, and the number known can be counted on one hand, why anyone would think they have one is beyond me. Brooker had one, but if the vendor had taken the time to look, they might have noticed the bust is the wrong size, the crown mintmark is the wrong shape, there is no plume in front of the bust, there is a plume above the shield, which in any case is a different shape, size and has different garnishing. On the plus side, there IS a VI in the field behind the bust and the legend does start CAROLVS D G, but it all goes tits up at MAG. Never mind, hope springs eternal.

FYI, yours is the sixpence equivalent of the shilling shown below, which similarly exists with mms. bell, crown and tun, i.e. it has the same basic constituents for layout and design features.

C1046-Chas.1 E2-2 shilling Tun.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 3

Thank you for such a detailed response...I obviously have much to learn about this series...

4 hours ago, JLS said:

Thank you for such a detailed response...I obviously have much to learn about this series...

This is a good starting point. As you can see, the known examples whilst sometimes similarly grotty are nevertheless clearly different to your coin. The Brooker coin and description added for completion's sake, this now in NMW.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Coins&lot_id=273764

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Coins&lot_id=269614

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Coins&lot_id=159160

img074.jpg

img075.jpg