British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Counterstamped Penny - HELP

Here is a one I am looking for help on. It is a counterstamped 1797 Cartwheel Penny. The logo is clearly the Elephant & Castle and very professional for a counterstamp. Any idea's? Has anyone seen one before? Got this off a friend who knew I liked this type of thing so not for sale :) Thanks all in advance 

Elephant and castle counterstamp on cartwheel penny online.jpg

It's a really nice one and not one I've seen before, I do collect the odd counter marked coin but not seriously. If anybody has a copy of 'British Countermarks on Copper and Bronze Coins' by J G Scott they maybe able to give you some more info

• Thanks 1

My only observation (apart from liking the countermark) is that it seems the coin was very well worn before the mark was applied. 

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

Very much appreciate you taking the time. Agree about the wear on the coin. I will also look into the book. 

Brian

1 minute ago, bhx7 said:

Thanks Guys

Very much appreciate you taking the time. Agree about the wear on the coin. I will also look into the book. 

Brian

Might be worth a post on http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/ ?

10 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Might be worth a post on http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/ ?

Thanks. Jumped across abd posted there as well. Cheers 😀