British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Luca

Tiberius denarius authentic?

Hi all 

I've just bought this Tiberius denarius and I'm fairly certain its genuine but just want conformation. I would also be grateful (if genuine) if anyone could identify when and around what time this coin was minted (I'll attach a photo of the other side on the next slide).

Thanks, Luca

tiberius denarius.jpg

Hi Luca

First off I'd just like to say i cannot help you with saying if it's geniune or not. What you would need to do is find out the weight of a geniune coin and weigh your one and see how they tally up. 

If it is a geniune coin it would of been minted around 18 AD. 

Looking around on this site it looks like a group 3 coin i think. Have a good look around on that website as somewhere on there will be weights for them i think. 

Stu.

Tribute Penny

• Like 1

Hi Luca,

Looking at those images I'd be pretty happy that it's genuine. There are no obvious casting marks, the wear appears even and natural and the cracking is common on coins of the period.

Tiberius ruled from Ad14-37, so any point in this period is fair game for minting coins.

You can see a similar example Here.

• Like 2

looks fine to me, handled a few in me time

• Like 1