British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
AardHawk

Royal Mint annual reports

I'm trying to track down reports for the late 70's thru to the 90's. The reports were published by HM Stationary Office until 1977 (report 107), since then, they seem to have been hidden until the early noughties when they started appearing on the lamentable Royal Mint web site. 

I'm looking for actual production figures of Proof and Mint sets and not the maximum allowable figures. I am not hopeful that the reports will actually help as the post 2000 reports are a complete load of tripe. They hardly mention coin production, mainly concentrating on employee diversity targets and other such carp.

Anyone got any ideas or figures (including the source).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AardHawk said:

I'm trying to track down reports for the late 70's thru to the 90's. The reports were published by HM Stationary Office until 1977 (report 107), since then, they seem to have been hidden until the early noughties when they started appearing on the lamentable Royal Mint web site. 

I'm looking for actual production figures of Proof and Mint sets and not the maximum allowable figures. I am not hopeful that the reports will actually help as the post 2000 reports are a complete load of tripe. They hardly mention coin production, mainly concentrating on employee diversity targets and other such carp.

Anyone got any ideas or figures (including the source).  

Have you tried the Mint themselves? (not that it would be any guarantee of a definitive yes or no these days, as organisations deal with the public in such a bizarre way)

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Have you tried the Mint themselves? (not that it would be any guarantee of a definitive yes or no these days, as organisations deal with the public in such a bizarre way)

Not yet, but I might be forced to. They annoyingly have them on their site for 2003 onwards and for bullion from 1968. 

I do know that 1978-9 thru 1997-8 reports are available for viewing at the Public Record Office(?) at Key for some large sum. I just cant believe that someone hasnt scanned them and got them online somewhere or hopefully written the figures down. I know that Chris was asking for figures some time ago, but I dont know whether he got them.

• Like 1

Do let us know; I have a dabbling interest in some of the coins and sets struck for foreign governments and was not able to get satisfactory information from the RM. And there is first the number authorised, then the number struck and then the net number released (because of returns, etc.). Even the net number released does not guarantee that the mint does not have some (or a lot) stashed in a warehouse somewhere.

• Like 1

I've arranged to visit the National Archives at Kew to view twelve annual reports, numbers 103 for the period 1972-04-01 - 1973-03-31 through to number 114 for the period 1983-04-01 - 1984-03-31, this coming Thursday. I am allowed to take a camera to photograph pages. I'm not sure what I'm going to discover. My main purpose is to determine actual production numbers of coins produced and in particular those for proof and BU sets, and VickySilver, will also be looking for coins produced for overseas governments.

I chose those numbers for my initial visit because they overlap with data published in Coin Monthly and Coins and Medals in the early seventies, thought I fear they may not be definitive. I have a feeling that there are other reports from the mint giving more detailed information as both magazines published other mid term figures that were more specific. I find that the National Archives web site is not the easiest to navigate, and zero in on what you are looking for.

I will report back. 

• Like 1