British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Ebay Feedback

I've had a few problems whilst using Ebay for coins (buying only)....usually with the bottom of the market cheapies or bargains.

I don't feel the feedback system is very efficient because giving a negative means you will probably get one back.

I've got a current problem where the seller sent me a rubbish coin and not the one pictured.I've emailed him but I'm not going to get

worked up over a couple of quid.

Has anyone got any ideas on a hall of shame we could produce?

I could list a load of id's of people who I deem dodgy....I've just noticed a New id for a guy selling US gold coins!!! his new

guise is unmistakingly him.

Ok, feel free to name any ebay id's that you would rather not deal with again. Please ensure that anyone doing so also explains the trading situation and transaction details so that viewers of this area can make up their own minds.

I don't want it to turn into a slanging match between eBayers, it should just be honest accounts of experiences and I see no reason why ID's should not be mentioned (certainly no personal details please).

At this very moment I have a negative eBay buying situation, paid via paypal 10 minutes after the auction closed, two weeks later, no coin, nothing communicative from seller etc. I could leave a negative, but I see that he is the retaliatory idiot type so it is fruitless. £9 down the tubers I am afraid.

At this very moment I have a negative eBay buying situation, paid via paypal 10 minutes after the auction closed, two weeks later, no coin, nothing communicative from seller etc. I could leave a negative, but I see that he is the retaliatory idiot type so it is fruitless. £9 down the tubers I am afraid.

Have you tried contacting ebay?

I set up a blacklist on here months ago but I think it went to the bottom of the pile.

Sharpclaw is another seller who doesn't send the same coins as in his pictures.

Contacting ebaY, might as well go out and bark at the moon IMHO, they are a venue they say, not more, not less. Actually less IMHO.

The coin did show in my post box a few minutes ago, £3 I paid for postage, and ins. but only a first class stamp and no insurance etc.

Another dipsy seller added to my blocked seller list.

I would be one that would appriceate some kind of list of people that one perhaps shouldnt trust on e-bay. Im often looking at coins there but hesitating if I really want to buy as Ive seen obvious frouds in the auction-descriptions on e-bay, making me very un-secure how much you really may trust people there. One cant exclude though that e-bay has alot more coins then the swedish variants, but on the other hand there seem to be much more odd people on e-bay, people just trying to earn money on other peoples good faith... :(

Maybe a more positive approach would be to have a "white" list of ebayers we have had good experiences with...

I know quite a few established coin dealers sell regularly on ebay (including Chris of course), so they should all be trustworthy. I'm sure we each have our own ebayers that we trust individually too.

I think from Chris' point of view, he is much less likely to receive complaints if he hosts a page of compliments rather than a page of criticisms...

I think from Chris' point of view, he is much less likely to receive complaints if he hosts a page of compliments rather than a page of criticisms...

No, sod it, name and shame, but as long as you outline your negative experience first. If it's the truth then people can make up their own mind.

If anyone lies and someone makes a complaint, then I'll remove the offending post and have words with the person that posted it. I don't mind about complaints, just don't write anything libelous!

Guest kenhodge

Hi all,

Regarding ebay. I have found that reporting misdemeanours to ebay is a waste of time. Having said that i do buy allsorts of items off ebay, but with care, such as checking a sellers feedback etc. Regarding postage and package, if i think it is high i just don't buy. Regarding buying coins, i prefer to buy from reputable coin dealers on the net, one can get low price coins good enough for being collectable, i can't aford high grade coins, but i am more than happy with my own collection.

Hi all,

Regarding ebay. I have found that reporting misdemeanours to ebay is a waste of time. Having said that i do buy allsorts of items off ebay, but with care, such as checking a sellers feedback etc. Regarding postage and package, if i think it is high i just don't buy. Regarding buying coins, i prefer to buy from reputable coin dealers on the net, one can get low price coins good enough for being collectable, i can't aford high grade coins, but i am more than happy with my own collection.

While negative seller feedback on ebay is a danger signal, positive feedback is no guarantee of trustworthiness as I've seen some of the biggest scoundrels selling fake coins and tokens on ebay with nearly perfect feedback ratings.

Right...here goes...first batch of regular no no's.

WITHOUT PREDUJICE

Flippendo...check History...a bit in yer face...pushy and i'm sure very punchable...(I was almost racist then!!!!)

Hoebs....Dodgy German who polishes coins..show itself ???????

Cdsteve...better recently? but sells tat.

Salesprouk....nice gold I'm sure (recently changed his name) still sells Gold (not) collectors coins

Vintagelots....loads of negs

GCCoins...painfully overgraded E/F/C whats all that about?

Loads more to come..

The above are all regulars. :ph34r:

Another seller to avoid! elena2632 - who had the bright idea (after I sent an email mentioning that the 'coin' on sale was a reproduction) of 'painting' out the identifying marks!

77_12_sb.JPG

80_1_b.JPG

Spot the difference!

That's pretty damned dodgy isn't it.

Just a bit! I think it will be most interesting to see what eBay does about it.

I have sent both them and the people who make the reproduction coin emails, so I shall be waiting to see if the listing lasts for the full 10 days!

Anyone who wants to follow it the listing number is 3968725927.

Anything that doesn't look quite right I will leave well alone.

Elena2632 MUST be banned...that is blantant fraud.

People are still buying replica's from a certain seller....he is picking them up for 99p and selling them on for

starting bids of £9.99 Buy it now £50!!!!!

There are absolute mugs out there.

Ah - the joys of eBay!

Would you believe there are eBay sellers called Real_Dodgy and Dodgydealer!!!

Perhaps I'll change my name to youreallsuckers or perhaps Youdhavetobemadtobuyfromme lol!

I'm not familiar with these replicas, or Charles I crowns at all, but I think they left an identifying mark on the shield side, just to the left of the bottom of the shield. Best not mention it in case it gets erased as well!

Maybe a more positive approach would be to have a "white" list of ebayers we have had good experiences with...

I agree to this idea what do you think chris

I agree to this idea what do you think chris

I think the majority or eBayers are generally mean well, so why waste reams of space telling people how good everyone is. The bad apples should be pointed out, but in a sensible non slanderous manner.

I'm not familiar with these replicas, or Charles I crowns at all, but I think they left an identifying mark on the shield side, just to the left of the bottom of the shield. Best not mention it in case it gets erased as well!

There is indeed an extra mark which the seller perhaps hasn't noticed. Of course, it's more likely that the second coin that they are so lucky to have (fancy having two of these rarities - that's a turn up for the books isn't it?) just doesn't have the obverse marks but still has those on the reverse. A die sinker's error I think they call it. :lol:

The company that makes these 'coins' have said they will take up the issue of this item with eBay, so hopefully that will resolve it. In the meantime I agree with Chris that there would be a lot less entries on a 'dodgy' list than an honest one. I don't think anyone can object if we chose to share honest observations about listings or sellers, so long as everyone sticks to the facts.

OK, I am getting more familiar with these replicas now... I noticed another one in that sellers history... the Charles the Bold double stuiver. No shame some people!!

One of the scams I see a lot on ebay is selling Maundy threepences as currency ones. There are some sellers who blatantly claim the item is "currency" when it is not and others who just don't mention the type at all - but happen to be selling the 1d, 2d and 4d of the same date in different auctions at the same time!

Given the price differential with some of the Victorian pieces, the practice has become widespread on the net.

Edited by wybrit

Well, I see that elena's listing has ended early. Sadly however I am now suspicious about the remaining listing #3968648666 (aren't I terrible - do I have no trust in ordinary decent honest people at all??).

It's a 1902 Russian 37.5 rouble, slabbed by a company called PCI. The only thing is, if you had a coin of which only 225 were minted and worth in excess of $65,000 (apparently), wouldn't you set a reserve?? But then, hey, I know nothing - these coins aren't my area at all. Maybe someone else would like to take a look?

Oddly, I have found restrikes of this coin (albeit in silver not gold) for sale on the internet from bullion dealers. (Just happened to be surfing and somehow came across them...) But then a certification service would recognise a restrike wouldn't they? Particularly if it had been gilded. Please reassure me they would someone! Pleeeaze!!!

Oh dear. The seller found the reverse mark. And the 'coin' looks more and more like the real thing each time it's listed. I give up :angry:

Edited by TomGoodheart