British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coin watch

Seeking Spink standard catalogue info

Hi fellow coin folk,

I'm after a bit of info regarding the Spink standard catalogue, I'm sure someone here will know.

I believe the current colour format of the Spink Standard catalogue started with edition 42 in 2007 and they have used the same illustrated coins for each type since, my question is about the black and white format immediately before which ended with edition 41 in 2006. Can anyone tell me how long that format lasted and how long were the illustrated coins used for in that run?  so it would be ????-2006  I have a couple of early 90's editions and the coins used in those were different again so the change must have been late 90's or early 00's ?

Appreciate any help.

In the early 90s it was still Seaby's. When was the changeover to Spink in the 90s, and did they change all the illustrations then or keep the existing Seaby ones for a few editions?

The pictures tended to be changed when a large number of suitable coins became available that were an improvement over the existing material. Andrew Wayne's Saxon was used extensively, as were other collections. I don't think there was any policy regarding the length of time a picture was used.

What edition/year did Spink take over from Seaby? I guess from that first Spink edition the same images were used until 2006?

After a bit of research I see the first Spink (from the old Seaby) was 1998, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if the same images were used from 1998-2006?

I'm not sure it's a safe assumption that all images were changed in one fell swoop. My hunch is that they were changed piecemeal for maybe different reasons.

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'm not sure it's a safe assumption that all images were changed in one fell swoop. My hunch is that they were changed piecemeal for maybe different reasons.

I think they changed them if something from a recent sale they had imaged was a significant improvement on the existing picture. They also used personal collections on occasion, as these frequently contain better coins than what passes through the saleroom. The best known of anything tends not to do the rounds.

• Like 1