British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Books Section

https://www.ebookshop.coin-currency.com/us/Gold-Coins-of-the-World-9th-edition/p/78899

Interesting that you can rent this book or buy in e-book form, you can also buy the paperback for $90 which is what i personally prefer, does anyone else prefer e-book to paper/hardback due to reduced price and saving a forest?

2 hours ago, azda said:

https://www.ebookshop.coin-currency.com/us/Gold-Coins-of-the-World-9th-edition/p/78899

Interesting that you can rent this book or buy in e-book form, you can also buy the paperback for $90 which is what i personally prefer, does anyone else prefer e-book to paper/hardback due to reduced price and saving a forest?

I prefer the paperback version, though it does take up lots of room on your bookshelf.  I have 3 volumes from 1700 to the current. Beginning the 36th edition they included a CD.

The printed word is far more practical when it comes to flipping between multiple pages, and as a reference volume, that will be what happens most often. The book every time for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, azda said:

Having used the two different mediums, as well as a kindle, I have to say that I much prefer an actual hard copy, hard back book. It will never mysteriously vanish or become corrupted, and you can just pick it up and look at it whenever you choose. Not to mention scrawl notes in the margin.   

• Like 2

Personally speaking, I do like to behold an old book. Spending time examining the woodcuts under a strong glass can be fascinating, some are very thought-provoking. Snelling has some interesting ones in, 'A View of the Silver Coin and Coinage of England.... ".

Added to that, the annotated margins, thick parchment paper, and the musty aroma of decomposing VOC's that linger with the turn of each leaf, just wonderful. 

774653212_IMG_2389copy.jpg.dfb6a1b44c856fbd4d0b574002184b75.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

Personally speaking, I do like to behold an old book. Spending time examining the woodcuts under a strong glass can be fascinating, some are very thought-provoking. Snelling has some interesting ones in, 'A View of the Silver Coin and Coinage of England.... ".

Added to that, the annotated margins, thick parchment paper, and the musty aroma of decomposing VOC's that linger with the turn of each leaf, just wonderful. 

774653212_IMG_2389copy.jpg.dfb6a1b44c856fbd4d0b574002184b75.jpg

Agreed - and to complement that I've got Snelling's 1763 original "A view of the gold coin and coinage of England".

Like your's, a great read and a real slice of history. They did the lower case "s" like an "f" back then.

snelling.jpg

• Like 2

5 parts to go for in total, printed between 1762 and 1769. Silver coins 1762, Gold coins 1763, Copper coins 1766, Anglo-Gallic, Sterlings, EIC, West Indies, IOM, Gold & Silver Patterns 1769 and Jettons or Counters 1769. All in wonderful Olde Englifh.

• Like 1

And another 18th century book worth acquiring given the chance. The Pembroke plates (1746) acted as the illustrations for the Sotheby auction catalogue when the collection was sold in 1848. 100 copies were originally printed, but some of these will have been cut up or lost down the years. Chips and fragments are faithfully reproduced meaning it is possible to identify the less than perfect coins.

Pembroke frontispiece.jpg

• Like 1

My one and only really "old" book is Folkes' Tables of English Coins from 1763. Superb leather bound and gilded with wonderful wood cuts of many interesting hammered coins.

• Like 1

Though a later book, if you get the chance, pick up a gilt-edged copy of Noel Humphrey's, The Coinage of the British Empire (1854). They turn up occasionally at auction, usually in job lots, and can be purchased for a few pounds.

I'm sure most have been butchered as the plates are perfect for framing and the binding did leave a lot to be desired so most copies are in tatters. Photos don't do them justice, they are very vivid.

748486636_IMG_2395copy.jpg.3a34add354130cbd3b98338b1887af11.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 11:48 PM, TomGoodheart said:

I've merged the Brexit comments with Azda's Brexit What's Happening thread so this one can be kept for books. 
You can find them here:  http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/12991-so-brexitwhats-happening/

Cheers.

*Waves at Dave and returns to listening to Rammstein*

Sanity prevails lol, "waves back" 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:02 PM, Diaconis said:

Though a later book, if you get the chance, pick up a gilt-edged copy of Noel Humphrey's, The Coinage of the British Empire (1854). They turn up occasionally at auction, usually in job lots, and can be purchased for a few pounds.

I'm sure most have been butchered as the plates are perfect for framing and the binding did leave a lot to be desired so most copies are in tatters. Photos don't do them justice, they are very vivid.

Actually available on Amazon right now. I've just ordered a copy.

link

• Like 1

On 21 December 2018 at 12:30 PM, azda said:

Theoretically, paper is best, but when you're disabled having everything you need on the computer is a real boon, plus you can vary the font size, use search features, and still keep the place you were at, have bookmarks, make notes and annotations, etc. So though I have a lot of Seaby/Spinks, the relevant values for all my coins are in the database where the changes over time can be compared at a single glance without having to find and prop open 10 copies of the catalogue (probably not something anyone who only uses paper would ever do). I get CCGB annually, the Kindle edition.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

link

Usually dispatched within 1-3 months 😱

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

link

Hi Mike,

I do hope that you enjoy it and that the quality of the plates is reflected in the Amazon copy. The original does have gilt-edged pages and the plates are treated with similar gilt/silver/copper embossing. It must have been a costly exercise for Mr Humphrey in the 1850s.

• Like 1

This looks a good read, now shall i take the red or the blue pill 😁

Screenshot 2018-12-23 18.40.40.png

• Haha 1

Great time to read a little.

I just finished this one by A.J Nathanson and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only 50 odd pages (many with photographs) so a quick read.  A fair bit of repetition from Graig's "The Mint" but some interesting additional background information on Simon.

Simon.png.ff0b6bf6ec5e1f78f94625c71f7cd9c5.png

Interestingly, I noticed that the photographs were taken by Frank Purvey who wrote one of the best little intro books for the fledgling collector. I still have mine which I read as a boy and recommend it to anyone starting off.

Unknown.jpeg.0a8897970cc3a72a5da96c6598107986.jpeg

• Like 2

Just thought I'd give anyone interested in short cross coinage a heads up.

Gerry Slevin has published his new revised edition of short cross legends.

Its a good read and he's added a Rhuddlan section to it. Well worth the upgrade from the original in my opinion.

If anyone is interested it's available from Regton.com.

JointPics_20200316_121817.JPG

• Like 2

this is not a numismatic book but in any case, it contains several images and references to coins.

I am reading it right now and I find it extremely well done despite the language is not the easiest for me. 

AngloSaxon.jpg

• Like 2

Trittly-how in the early mordy. 

A few interesting books being read by other members I see.

I’ve had Platt’s English Civil Wars on my shelf gathering dust for quite a while now, biding it’s time waiting patiently to be read. It has now been dusted off and is outside with me enjoying the sunshine. 

I have the odd Medal but this has rekindled that interest. I do like how the text is interspersed with contemporary quotations and the thoughts of earlier collectors and scholars.

4CFC09C3-7775-4D09-A65E-F7609774BA0C.jpeg.0b101b582f03feb7c8c0104149a0947d.jpeg

Deep joy

• Like 1

If this self isolate bites hard i think we will all be doing a lot more reading.

Thanks for the recent recommendations guys. 

Think i am going to order a few book's  in and hit the library before its goes t!ts up full lockdown. 

Edited by Ukstu
Correction

Looks very interesting. Has anyone read it? 

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Royal Numismatic Society (1 Sept. 2020)

Language ‏ : ‎ English

Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 1870 pages

£150(ish)

71rfPqgVF7S.thumb.jpg.f6f46d48295af7d5375cf53f5ae672b0.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 10:23 AM, Diaconis said:

Trittly-how in the early mordy. 

A few interesting books being read by other members I see.

I’ve had Platt’s English Civil Wars on my shelf gathering dust for quite a while now, biding it’s time waiting patiently to be read. It has now been dusted off and is outside with me enjoying the sunshine. 

I have the odd Medal but this has rekindled that interest. I do like how the text is interspersed with contemporary quotations and the thoughts of earlier collectors and scholars.

4CFC09C3-7775-4D09-A65E-F7609774BA0C.jpeg.0b101b582f03feb7c8c0104149a0947d.jpeg

Deep joy

...and not too expensive a read.

Thriftymost on the bankee balancer!

Deepjoy in your thorpus.

• Haha 1

Gratifole from the bottmoly heartage Blakey

• Haha 2