British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
twofatslugs

Recently acquired a collection from family and am looking for some information

Hi! I'm completely new to coins and coin collections and have recently been given a collection of old coins that were collected in the 50s by my Great Grandfather. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any information about them and what their value may or may not be. I'm not looking to sell the collection, I just have a hankering to know what it's worth! 

I don't really know anything about medieval-post medieval coins, nor do I know much about grading. I've tried to take photos of the main bulk of the collection and have uploaded them onto IMGUR, but I've left out around 50-60 half crowns from post 1946 where I think the half crowns were not longer made from silver.

Hopefully someone can be of some help :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/C6q5PRV

https://imgur.com/gallery/MqWfL90

After a quick look I spotted nothing rare in the uk coins , quite a bit of the collection is scrap silver as its such low grade , there are a few collectable coins  in there as well

6 minutes ago, copper123 said:

After a quick look I spotted nothing rare in the uk coins , quite a bit of the collection is scrap silver as its such low grade , there are a few collectable coins  in there as well

Thanks for having a quick look! What are the collectable coins? With regards to the condition yeah I didn't think they were in great nick, especially the earliest stuff. Is grading based on design visibility or visual appeal usually?

A collectable coin is generally one that has seen less than ten years in circulation  that would leave it in Nvf grade or so , it also depends on the metal and the size of the coin as well - smaller coins circulate less so are less worn .

In general most collections out there consist of average circulated coins , the exceptions or collections from fanatics (like you will find in this forum)

Remember most collections consist of coins from circulation or coins brought back as momentoes by servicemen in the last war and just after - there are plenty quite common foreign coins as well as english .

I don't know about the foreign coins, but as far as the British ones are concerned, I can't see any that might be worth collecting. Too worn.

However, there is a lot of silver bullion in and amongst that lot, which would fetch some money.   

Just now, 1949threepence said:

I don't know about the foreign coins, but as far as the British ones are concerned, I can't see any that might be worth collecting. Too worn.

However, there is a lot of silver bullion in and amongst that lot, which would fetch some money.   

certainly

5 hours ago, twofatslugs said:

Hi! I'm completely new to coins and coin collections and have recently been given a collection of old coins that were collected in the 50s by my Great Grandfather. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any information about them and what their value may or may not be. I'm not looking to sell the collection, I just have a hankering to know what it's worth! 

I don't really know anything about medieval-post medieval coins, nor do I know much about grading. I've tried to take photos of the main bulk of the collection and have uploaded them onto IMGUR, but I've left out around 50-60 half crowns from post 1946 where I think the half crowns were not longer made from silver.

Hopefully someone can be of some help :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/C6q5PRV

https://imgur.com/gallery/MqWfL90

The V nickle and Indian Head Penny from the USA are not rare at all.

On 21 November 2018 at 5:50 PM, twofatslugs said:

Is grading based on design visibility or visual appeal usually?

Design visibility (i.e. wear) first and foremost, and also strength of strike, and any damage. Visual appeal is one of those hard-to-quantify things which people just gain from experience  and which leads dealers to adding a premium to the price!