British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

So, Brexit....What's happening?

Given that import fees are levied where appropriate, I find it incredulous that someone would refuse to pay on the grounds that they haven't managed to avoid paying tax owed. Irrespective of the merits or otherwise of import taxes, it is incumbent on people to accept the legal position on the day, and probably more pertinently, account for it when making a purchase. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Firstly let's be clear what we are talking about. For goods imported for personal consumption  In Oz a 10% GST is imposed on imported goods coming in to Australia.. The regulations changed in July 2018 after lobbying by retail companies in Australia where goods imported by private persons were GST free up to $1000 in value. You can probably still get some stuff through by mail from private sellers but run the risk of them being intercepted by customs. If it is through Ebay/PayPal the 10% GST is levied and ends up as consolidated revenue from Australian customs formally HM Customs. Amazon stopped selling to Australia from amazon. com and amazon.co.uk but they setup their own company in Australia where they levy the 10% GST on sales . Therefore it's now a tariff as well as an internal tax on goods and services both under the guise of GST. The only concession is when you come back from overseas with the goods in your procession the first $800 is GST free. However this has made duty free in Australia less useful than before  with the exception of booze which attracts excise as well Tobacco is almost banned in Australia where you can only  bring 1 packet of 25 cigarettes with out paying the excise and GST the excise on tobacco in Australia is very high. A packet of  25 cigarettes is about $30. It seems  to be different for the UK where it seems VAT is levied inside the UK while duty is imposed on good coming from overseas countries outside the EU zone i.e. Australia.

All of this has no relevance to this thread which was started with the ABC post on Norway Sweden customs and the overstated customs issues between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland in the event of a hard Brexit. Personally I think the  Irish Republic's objections to a hard border stem more from the  economic loss they would incur from the loss of sales to the UK rather than the assertion it may stir up the troubles again. Given the Irish Republics policy for a united Ireland I don't think this would worry them too much as they only paid lip service when trying to resolve the troubles in the past. There is also the suspicion  that the EU is supporting the Irish claim to make things as difficult as they can as they know it is unacceptable to the UK to stay tied to the EU customs zone or split off part of the UK to the EU customs zone  after Brexit which would also enhance the Irish Republic's territorial ambitions regarding North Ireland.

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Factually incorrect. VAT is not a tariff. It's what all purchasers of goods in this country have to pay, and the only time people think of it separately is when it's not shown as part of the 'price to pay'. Otherwise the price shown on the ticket or website includes VAT  and few people  think about it as a separate component. Your customer was obviously an exception. VAT is just one of the many taxes like income tax, National Insurance, fuel duty, duty on drink and cigarettes, etc. Part of the cost of living.

As I said however, excise duty ("still to pay before you can collect your goods") is a different matter.

Two countries with differences in the way GST/VAT is applied. In Australia  now it has a tariff aspect to it for personal imports. Another difference is in NZ where  there is no GST/VAT refund at airports etc. when taking goods out of the country as there is in the UK (out of the EU) and Australia (out of Australia)  The main tariff on commercial imports into Australia is the WTO rate. STILL NO COMMENT ON THE BORDER ISSUES?

PS it's excise on alcohol , gasoline etc. 

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 1

Correction excise duty is levied at the point of manufacture by the country where the goods are produced  whereas customs duty is levied on the importation  the goods. of which both are passed on to the consumer.  I think I've had enough of tax.