British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

DNW 14th Nov 2018

Well that was just a wow on the

William and Mary (1688-1694), Crown, 1692/2 inverted, edge qvinto (ESC 824 [85]; S 3433). Extremely fine and toned  £1,500-£2,000

Sold for £10k 😱

It's the way things are going nowadays - if I had £12k to spare (alas, I don't) I'd rather have 20 different early milled in, say, GF than one in EF but know I'm in the minority.   

Having said that, the estimate looks very low (assuming it's a proper EF - DNW are a tad lenient I think). 

23 minutes ago, pokal02 said:

It's the way things are going nowadays - if I had £12k to spare (alas, I don't) I'd rather have 20 different early milled in, say, GF than one in EF but know I'm in the minority.   

Having said that, the estimate looks very low (assuming it's a proper EF - DNW are a tad lenient I think). 

I personally think they are spot on with their grades

15 minutes ago, azda said:

I personally think they are spot on with their grades

Good afternoon Dave 😂

I only look at the pennies but also feel they edge on the side of caution with some,better to low than to high though .

As i've been out for a while i'm just a watcher to get the feel of prices for now, although there is one that i have an eye on, but will probably sit back until next year and keep saving money till then

The Ashby groat was too hot for me, going for 10 times estimate.   This was the one strand of my collection that I had hopes of completing (crowns being barred by 1674, shillings by Henry VII and pennies by Beorthric among others) - but no longer, especially as that was the worse of the two known specimens.  I'll just have to start collecting double-florins...   

3 minutes ago, pokal02 said:

The Ashby groat was too hot for me, going for 10 times estimate.   This was the one strand of my collection that I had hopes of completing (crowns being barred by 1674, shillings by Henry VII and pennies by Beorthric among others) - but no longer, especially as that was the worse of the two known specimens.  I'll just have to start collecting double-florins...   

I had that on my radar for the past 8 years, but not at that price. The other one isn't likely to make a return to market any time soon.

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Good afternoon Dave 😂

I only look at the pennies but also feel they edge on the side of caution with some,better to low than to high though .

I thought that. They seem slightly conservative with their grading.   

DNW seem to be the premier auction outfit nowadays. Their grading is accurate as people have said, their website works wonderfully well, their photographs are generally top quality and both commission and live bidding work perfectly.

9 minutes ago, secret santa said:

DNW seem to be the premier auction outfit nowadays. Their grading is accurate as people have said, their website works wonderfully well, their photographs are generally top quality and both commission and live bidding work perfectly.

Very much so, and I would refer to my post of 21.9.18 which reflects exactly that point.

I too am a frequent and happy bidder with DNW. I would put them near the top as well...

Also keeping themselves busy.

I have just watched a documentary on Sky arts called Auction which featured them ,nice PR job.

Edited by PWA 1967

Day 2.........Not as successful as day 1 it would seem, a lot being passed on

Edited by azda

DNW are going to spoil my Christmas one way or another. They're selling a fantastic token collection December 4th.  If the estimates are anywhere near accurate, I'll probably spend too much and we'll be eating baked beans on the 25th. If some items take off the way I believe they will I'll probably be sulking until February.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/results.php?auction_id=506

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

DNW are going to spoil my Christmas one way or another. They're selling a fantastic token collection December 4th.  If the estimates are anywhere near accurate, I'll probably spend too much and we'll be eating baked beans on the 25th. If some items take off the way I believe they will I'll probably be sulking until February.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/results.php?auction_id=506

There's certainly some great tokens on offer here, please lay off the Kent ones, particularly Folkestone!

On 14 November 2018 at 1:00 PM, Paulus said:

Just won the 1823 half crown

The rare or more common one?

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

The rare or more common one?

The more common 'shield in garter' (S. 3808) type, my 1821 covers off the 'garnished shield' type (S. 3807)

1823_hc_02_ref_01753_dnw_nov_2018_lot_287_auction_pics_04_1300.jpg

• Like 2

I was interested to see an extensive selection of Queen Anne pattern farthings come up for sale at the recent DNW auction. I noticed a Peck 748 (Cu) for sale and they don't seem to surface that often. It was Lot 796 (photo below, RH image).

At first sight, it looked a fine example , EF, nice toning, but on a closer inspection, it just looked odd. It hammered at £1800 (excl costs) which may be about the going rate for one these days, maybe more, I don't know.

The auction catalogue lists it as Peck 748 (Obv. 4 + Rev. D). As a comparison, I've added the LH image which is Peck 747 same dies, (Obv. 4 + Rev. D) (ex. CNG 2012). 

When compared side by side it is apparent that they are not from the same set of dies. The DNW example being of a slightly cruder design and workmanship.

The reverse (Rev. D) on the DNW example also exhibits small dissimilarities and crudeness of design yet curiously still exhibits the die flaws on the right hand portico column and after the NIA in BRITANNIA.

It would be nice to think it to be a rare, contemporary variant of Peck 748 but imo its more likely to be an imitation, there to deceive. I suppose that had the die-break not been there on the reverse then it could have been an unrecorded variant but the very presence of the die flaw should surely preclude the smallest of differences elsewhere on the coin. 

Any thoughts?

771892056_Lot796.jpg.9518c1966e4de984202e38fdd16caf3c.jpg

I was asked what I thought about an Anne farthing at the last Midland fair. It was a wrongun. Whilst I can't remember the particular variety, it was the crudeness which was obvious. The proud relief on the hair and drapery was simply too mountainous.

Yes, there do seem to be a few about Rob. However, they don't often pass unscathed through a couple of reputable auction houses beforehand.

That right hand one definitely looks wrong. Absolutely a different die.