British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

You've missed out Like.....like, like ,like, like

Now the most common word in the English vocabulary, far more common than "and" or "the".

In partial summation, subject to additional entries:

SO, I LITERALLY, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY agree with all of the above peeves..... THERE (THEIR ) all so AWESOME....

YOUR AWESOME.... For mentioning them....

That's BASICALLY it....

[Written tongue in cheek]

PS : Let us not forget other annoying misuses :

you're/your

they're/there/their

two/to/too

weather/whether

use of "OF" instead of "HAVE" ("I should of" instead of "I should have")

overuse of the word "BASICALLY "

absolutely

seriously

OMG!!

Overuse of "YOU KNOW" in conversation

I'm sure there are more, but that is all I can think of at the moment...

Admittedly, some can be attributed to spell or grammar checking ( or lack of it), or just simple mistyping..  (big fingers, small keyboar d - happens to me all the time)

3 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

In partial summation, subject to additional entries:

SO, I LITERALLY, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY agree with all of the above peeves..... THERE (THEIR ) all so AWESOME....

YOUR AWESOME.... For mentioning them....

That's BASICALLY it....

[Written tongue in cheek]

PS : Let us not forget other annoying misuses :

you're/your

they're/there/their

two/to/too

weather/whether

use of "OF" instead of "HAVE" ("I should of" instead of "I should have")

overuse of the word "BASICALLY "

absolutely

seriously

OMG!!

Overuse of "YOU KNOW" in conversation

I'm sure there are more, but that is all I can think of at the moment...

Admittedly, some can be attributed to spell or grammar checking ( or lack of it), or just simple mistyping..  (big fingers, small keyboar d - happens to me all the time)

B&C, you forgot "at the end of the day" and "Amazing"

44 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Whatever!

Excellent !!!

How could I forget " WHATEVER" ???

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

15 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

OMG!!!!!

How could I forget them......

Not to mention when "HARD" is used in place of "DIFFICULT" ... [I'm guilty of that myself.....]

I have never had a difficulton    LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I'm like surprised that like nobody's like mentioned the like worst one of all.

Well, you know, I never thought of that.

Know what I mean?

Another one - "for me"

"Tell you what, for me, Gary, that was a clear penalty. He took the guy at knee height....... " 

26 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

"Tell you what, for me, Gary, that was a clear penalty. He took the guy at knee height....... " 

Yeah, but he did brilliant.........

I hear what you say but..

Roll out a new scheme..

On 21 November 2018 at 6:52 AM, 1949threepence said:

Another irritation (to me anyway), is why so many people are starting sentences with the word "so".  

I share your pain. That abomination seems to be everywhere. It's always in answering a question - "What started you in collecting coins?" "So I was at home one day..." :angry:

On 22 November 2018 at 4:11 PM, 1949threepence said:

Another one - "for me"

That is fractionally preferable to "He's taken the guy at knee height....".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I share your pain. That abomination seems to be everywhere. It's always in answering a question - "What started you in collecting coins?" "So I was at home one day..." :angry:

You just wonder where these things start.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Another one - in talking about the cold weather, both here and in the States, why, when talking about minimum temperatures, are the newsreaders saying "temperatures could reach as low as -16C"? It's "fall as low" - reach is for maximum temperatures. 

At least the weather forecasters use the correct terminology.  

One of the misuses that gets me every time is "amount" instead of "number", as in "The amount of people collecting coins is on the increase".

You use amount for commodities such as flour or sand. You use number for things you can count!

Edited by Paddy
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

"temperatures could reach as low as -16C"? It's "fall as low" - reach is for maximum temperatures. 

BBC more better English !!!  :D

• Haha 1

Pedants' revolt.jpg

• Haha 2

I find the BBC's insistence on writing 'the Spain (or whatever country) player' instead of 'the Spanish player' somewhat annoying - but that's just me being Britain

We're just back from The Gambia where they call the Dutch people Hollandish!!

Everything Has been Americanised , one that grates with me is TWO TIMES what's wrong with TWICE, its quicker to say.  Most of the words in the English dictionary will disappear in the come decades due to lack of use.     

14 hours ago, Rob said:

I find the BBC's insistence on writing 'the Spain (or whatever country) player' instead of 'the Spanish player' somewhat annoying - but that's just me being Britain

Just as bad is the insistence some have of referring to a team in the singular, as in "England is struggling here, and is lucky to be going in at half time only one goal down".

2 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Everything Has been Americanised , one that grates with me is TWO TIMES what's wrong with TWICE, its quicker to say.  Most of the words in the English dictionary will disappear in the come decades due to lack of use.     

And the increasing disappearance of the word "of" after "couple", compensated for by its unnecessary appearance after "outside". Not to mention the growing habit of referring to a date as (e.g.) "February 3". Still, let's be thankful that we still use the logical DD/MM/YY format. God forbid we should ever descend to the utterly illogical MM/DD/YY. 

• Like 1