British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

asked the royal mint if they could let me know how many 2017, 13 and 8 coin annual sets were sold to try and work out how many 20p and £2 coins were issued in the sets, got the standard reply,,, 

Hi Craig, we haven't got these figures at the moment, sorry!

The best thing I can suggest is to keep checking the website for updates.

is it that hard for them to collate this information, the sets are long sold out so surely they should know this answer, 

Like most big companies .....One person wont put something in writing to you unless its signed off by the person at the top 🙂

You'd think so wouldn't you, but maybe they've still got some unsold sets and will only give a final figure once this is available. 

Although these days who knows what  reasoning is in place (if any). Most large organisations seem to exist in some weird parallel universe, in which the logic function has been disabled. 

I have posted on this many times, but in reference to those struck for foreign countries. Mintages are occasionally the following:

Authorised limits

Number Struck

Number released, subtracting returns, etc.

These are probably not important for releases that number in the tens of thousands, but more important with scarcer bits. That having been said, I wish they would release net figures for all the unc. and proof Queen's Beasts.....

• Like 1

... and while on the topic, the summary pages for £2 to 50p coins are still missing and have been for a couple of months. I emailed them a few weeks ago and got a standard "non-answer".

There must be a business school somewhere that teaches them how to reply to complaints or concerns without actually saying anything at all. The standard answer seems to start with: "We value your custom and take **** very seriously" but we are going to do nothing about it.

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

There must be a business school somewhere that teaches them how to reply to complaints or concerns without actually saying anything at all. The standard answer seems to start with: "We value your custom and take **** very seriously" but we are going to do nothing about it.

Tell me about it. I once worked for a company that issued a sheet saying - I kid you not - "We intend to cascade information throughout the enterprise going forward". Meaning that from the next month they were going to publish a company newsletter.

Not sure why they don't just put the annual reports with this information on the website? Much easier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr T said:

Not sure why they don't just put the annual reports with this information on the website? Much easier.

Commonsense isn't done these days, unfortunately.

Moreover, as Peck said above, so many relatively simple things are couched in obscure language.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Moreover, as Peck said above, so many relatively simple things are couched in obscure language.  

It's probably just part of the greater development of language. People feel they have to use the latest buzzwords or phrases to be perceived as 'cool', whatever that means, or whatever the speaker perceives it to mean. The all pervasive use of acronyms was given a huge boost by texting and the need to keep the number of characters down. Today, that cost pressure is virtually non-existent, but you still find people using acronyms on the assumption that everybody will understand. Whilst it may work for the masses and popular culture, it is unhelpful for general communication.

Rhetorical question, but why has the acronym 'lol' replaced the full stop as a punctuation mark?

On 17 November 2018 at 9:33 AM, Rob said:

Rhetorical question, but why has the acronym 'lol' replaced the full stop as a punctuation mark?

Probably for the same reason that 'massive' is now a synonym for 'important'.

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Probably for the same reason that 'massive' is now a synonym for 'important'.

... and "unique" now means "a bit out of the ordinary".

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

... and "unique" now means "a bit out of the ordinary".

...... and "stakeholder" has replaced "interested party".... 

All well and good chaps, but each of those are replacing a word or words with something loosely connected. My point is why do you have to end every sentence by rolling around on the floor in stitches? By the time I have completed this post I will have been required to get up 3 times and laugh because I managed to complete a sentence. Tedious. Sorry, 5 times now.

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

rolling around on the floor in stitches

Do you mean RAOTFIS ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

All well and good chaps, but each of those are replacing a word or words with something loosely connected. My point is why do you have to end every sentence by rolling around on the floor in stitches? By the time I have completed this post I will have been required to get up 3 times and laugh because I managed to complete a sentence. Tedious. Sorry, 5 times now.

The 'lol' acronym can also mean 'lots of love'...….just to confuse the situation lol

2 hours ago, Rob said:

It's become so trite now that it's used on notifications that aren't even vaguely amusing. 

Another irritation (to me anyway), is why so many people are starting sentences with the word "so".  

• Like 1

So, how about the totally incorrect use of the word "literally" ? - I literally explode with rage when I hear this thrown into every other sentence. 

• Like 1

Blame US TV for that and a few others. Totally is another.

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

So, how about the totally incorrect use of the word "literally" ? - I literally explode with rage when I hear this thrown into every other sentence. 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Blame US TV for that and a few others. Totally is another.

Not to mention "absolutely" (guilty of that myself on occasions).     

One of my pet peeves, “awesome” being used for something as banal as a cup of coffee or in place of “thank you”

SO, I LITERALLY, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY agree with all of the above peeves..... THERE (THEIR) all so AWESOME....

YOUR AWESOME.... For mentioning them....

That's BASICALLY it....

[Written tongue in cheek]

PS: Let us not forget other annoying misuses :

you're/your

they're/there/their

two/to/too

weather/whether

use of "OF" instead of "HAVE" ("I should of" instead of "I should have")

overuse of the word "BASICALLY "

I'm sure there are more, but that is all I can think of at the moment...

Admittedly, some can be attributed to spell or grammar checking ( or lack of it), or just simple mistyping..  (big fingers, small keyboard - happens to me all the time)

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

"Actually", I think you covered most of them there 😉

OMG!!!!!

How could I forget them......

Not to mention when "HARD" is used in place of "DIFFICULT" ... [I'm guilty of that myself.....]