British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Countermark on Elizabeth I Penny?

I found this among some coins I bought some time ago. I had not noticed before the circular mark, which looks to me like a countermark. Is it one? What is the significance? (A google search turns up one Elizabeth I Peeny with a lozenge countermark at Spinks, but no explanation as to what it signified.)

As far as I can see the coin is S2570 - Third/Fourth issue Penny. Mintmark maybe Lion?

Thanks for any assistance.

Eliz I D CM 1 Red.JPG

Eliz I D CM 2 Red.JPG

Eliz I D CM 3 Red.JPG

I should add, last image rotated - Elizabeth's ear now at about 2 O'Clock. I thought I could see a head shape in the countermark but cannot get it to come out clearly in the picture.

Edited by Paddy
More info