British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

Bank of Ireland 6 Shilling Token

I have just acquired a BoI 6 Shilling Bank token could anyone tell whether it should have a plain or milled edge, the BoE 5 Shilling Token, I have, has a milled edge but the BoI I have has a plain edge. I've looked on the net but can't find any pictures that show this very well.

The edge on the 6/- token should be plain.

When you say the 5/- token is milled, is it possible to post a picture? These are supposed to be either plain, or retain traces of the 8 reales edge which is a square/rectangular pattern. It shouldn't be a conventional milled edge, which ought to ring alarm bells.

Taylor restrikes are plain edged.

My mistake Rob the BoE 5/ has a plain edge, I thought it had a milled edge from looking at my photos, but on inspection after removing it from storage it has a plain edge. I shall post photos of the BoI later, for any interested parties later it has very clean fields with no evidence of any underlying 8 Reale, but the highlights on Obverse and Reverse are well worn so don't think it ever circulated much but was handled a lot.

As promised the coin

BoI 6 Shilling.jpg

this looks really off to me, double check weights diameters thickness etc, detail on this is soapy. looks like a cast copy to me 

My initial reaction also when it was first uploaded but i waited to see if someone else would comment in case i was being paranoid. It just looks too new modern. 

8 hours ago, Sleepy said:

As promised the coin

BoI 6 Shilling.jpg

Go along with the dodgy status. Aside from the fact that it has been scrubbed a bit, the giveaways are the straight lines defining the hair on the forehead and more obviously Hibernia's belly detail.

Compare with a few to go through auction recently.

image01539.jpg

image00369.jpg

image01277.jpg

image01046.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I never replied about this topic but I have been away for 4 months with very poor/no internet.

My BoI 6 shillings is a fake found this one on ebay just before I went away. If you look carefully it's an exact copy of the one I acquired (minus the scratch on the cheek) at least this one was labeled honestly as a copy, think it was a US seller.

Feel sorry for my Father who brought it for me, at a general auction, a couple of years back for book price, I had peaked his interest a few weeks earlier after chatting about the history of the Bank Token series.

Other giveaways its fake, it is the same weight and diameter as the genuine item but is noticeably thicker by approx 0.5 mm.

Thanks for all your replies guys which made me look harder.

Phill

ebay BoI O.jpg

Ebay BoI Token R.jpg

• Like 1