British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Anybody good on Jettons or have the Mitchener book?

I picked up this one at the auction on Saturday (mis-identified as possibly Russian would you believe!). I am fairly sure it is a medieval jetton but I have yet to find another to compare it to. One site (finds.org.uk) has something with a similar reverse but a seated king obverse and quotes a Mitchener reference, so I wonder if my one is in that book? Any help much appreciated:

Wildman Jetton 1 Red.JPG

Wildman Jetton 2 Red.JPG

You've picked a hard one to crack. The reverse is described as a lis-tipped cross in tressur/Croix fleurdelisée en tressure. Along with the Ecu de France probably the most common known jeton design.

I've played with the image but all I get is SURMATENT, which makes no sense in either Latin or middle French. I put this as late middle ages and the best  reference for these types is Feuardent rather than Michiner but it's going to be a long haul. 

Something for me to do as the nights draw in. Also with your permission I'll put your images out into the jeton community where somebody may easily recognise the type.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bagerap said:

You've picked a hard one to crack. The reverse is described as a lis-tipped cross in tressur/Croix fleurdelisée en tressure. Along with the Ecu de France probably the most common known jeton design.

I've played with the image but all I get is SURMATENT, which makes no sense in either Latin or middle French. I put this as late middle ages and the best  reference for these types is Feuardent rather than Michiner but it's going to be a long haul. 

Something for me to do as the nights draw in. Also with your permission I'll put your images out into the jeton community where somebody may easily recognise the type.

That would be wonderful - thanks. I have put a post on Cointalk but got nothing constructive there so far.

I got to something like Surmatent, but I wondered if it made more sense as two words - Sur Matent? Is the first word ECHAP?AUD and does that help?

Isn't the reverse only on French Jettons?

No, it appears on some early medieval English jetons. It's past pub closing time so the memory is fallible but I think Edward II and one other English king used this symbol.

It is a French Jetton, very similar to Barnard 7a, (Barnard, The Casting-counter and the Counting Board, 2nd ed Fox 1981);

”A man standing, full faced, under a decorated canopy; he has long hair, and wears a wreath of roses and a 14th century jupon; in his right hand is a rose bush (?), in his left a garland of roses; below his left elbow is a large rose or cinquefoil; all surrounded by a granulated circle from which issue eight cusps; his feet pass beyond the circle and rest on an exergue ornamented with small crosses. Legend SVR.MA.TEST E CHAPEAVD . Rev as that of no 7, but reading T V E M.  T.C.R.,I, No 1401”

The reverse 7 quoted is as yours, but for the letters AVEI, yours appears to read AVEO.

The reference T.C.R refers to a series of catalogues in French around 1900 by De la Tour.

Jerry

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jelida said:

It is a French Jetton, very similar to Barnard 7a, (Barnard, The Casting-counter and the Counting Board, 2nd ed Fox 1981);

”A man standing, full faced, under a decorated canopy; he has long hair, and wears a wreath of roses and a 14th century jupon; in his right hand is a rose bush (?), in his left a garland of roses; below his left elbow is a large rose or cinquefoil; all surrounded by a granulated circle from which issue eight cusps; his feet pass beyond the circle and rest on an exergue ornamented with small crosses. Legend SVR.MA.TEST E CHAPEAVD . Rev as that of no 7, but reading T V E M.  T.C.R.,I, No 1401”

The reverse 7 quoted is as yours, but for the letters AVEI, yours appears to read AVEO.

The reference T.C.R refers to a series of catalogues in French around 1900 by De la Tour.

Jerry

Wow - thank you Jerry - that is good enough for me!

I only picked it up because I thought it was interesting, in remarkably good condition for a jetton - and because no one else was bidding! I will probably move it on as it would be a tangent to my usual collection, so if you know of anyone who would be interested in it, feel free to point them in my direction. You may see it on Ebay soon...