British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Coin Theft in Plymouth

This has just appeared on the BBC local news website down here in Devon:

"A large quantity of rare UK sterling coins worth about £4,000 has been stolen from a property in Plymouth.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the coins were taken during the summer, from a property in Efford.

They said: "The coins were not just a financial loss to the victim but of great sentimental value as they had been collected to pass on to family members".

The coins included.

• A £25 gold & silver coloured coin
  • A large number of £5 coins,
  • A £5 Princess Diana commemorative coin,
  • Five 50p Shakespeare commemorative coins,
  • A £2 Isambard Kingdom Brunel commemorative coin
  • A quantity of 50p London 2012 Olympics commemorative coins complete with packaging."

Now I have every sympathy with the victim of this crime BUT - either the reporting is a long way off the truth, or someone is bumping up the value of their coin collection a long, long way! Or maybe the collector genuinely believed his coins were worth that much?

In any case, worthy of comment...

I think the thief will of been just as negged out as the owner when he opened the box , hopefully the owner got his insurance which would perhaps of been more than the true value and more use to the family.

Why on earth they put this on the news weeks later makes me think not much goes on in Plymouth 😉

• Like 1

If they got them from LMO or Westminster etc, they might have paid, and by extension think that they are worth £4K.

Is there a Shakespeare 50p? :unsure:

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

This has just appeared on the BBC local news website down here in Devon:

"A large quantity of rare UK sterling coins worth about £4,000 has been stolen from a property in Plymouth.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the coins were taken during the summer, from a property in Efford.

They said: "The coins were not just a financial loss to the victim but of great sentimental value as they had been collected to pass on to family members".

The coins included.

• A £25 gold & silver coloured coin
  • A large number of £5 coins,
  • A £5 Princess Diana commemorative coin,
  • Five 50p Shakespeare commemorative coins,
  • A £2 Isambard Kingdom Brunel commemorative coin
  • A quantity of 50p London 2012 Olympics commemorative coins complete with packaging."

Now I have every sympathy with the victim of this crime BUT - either the reporting is a long way off the truth, or someone is bumping up the value of their coin collection a long, long way! Or maybe the collector genuinely believed his coins were worth that much?

In any case, worthy of comment...

They're the type of rubbish you'd put in your decoy cabinet in plain sight for housebreaking villains. While your serious one is hidden away.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Is there a Shakespeare 50p? :unsure:

I didn't think so, but a quick search on Ebay turns up this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-William-Shakespeare-souvenir-coin-Album-filler-50p-collector-silver/253951301570?hash=item3b20ad57c2:g:MBAAAOSwxLdb01-x

If this is what he had in his collection he was severely deluded!

Blimey Paddy - who knew? :o

I can't help but wonder, since it's being sold as an "album filler", exactly what space is it meant to occupy? :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Blimey Paddy - who knew? :o

I can't help but wonder, since it's being sold as an "album filler", exactly what space is it meant to occupy? :huh:

The gap in the rubbish bin? :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It does say including ....not that this was the entire collection that was stolen

However I suspect that the unfortunate victim could very well have been a classic client of those companies that we all know,  who prey on selling to mainly the elderly and definitely to people who don't know the value of what they are buying and who often do it furtively and with the best intentions in order to leave something of what they think is of value to the family when they've gone and generally is worth about 10 to 20% of what they paid..at best.

Stick to your knitting is what I say ( can you still say that ? ..of course men knit too....phew ! I think I got away with that one...) ......don't buy what you don't understand or haven't researched....Crypto being a recent classic example of people doing this    

• Like 1

Coin theft, or dodged a bullet?

I have every sympath with someone who paid out good money for that rubbish

"Five 50p Shakespeare commemorative coins,"

I would be really interested to see these