British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Ozzy1977

How to deal with sticky coins?

Any chance of a photo, Peckris? For localised verdigris I have found Verdicare very useful, to the extent of full removal, but it does require time for the drop applied to the verd to soften it, and mechanical prodding eg cocktail stick to remove it, and may need repeat application over a few days. As stated before high magnification and a steady hand are appropriate. Next time I tackle one I will try and take photos.

Jerry

9 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

How would you do that? :o

Behave your self 😊 You were a dealer for years you must of seen coins ruined by being cleaned ,especially the wrong way.

11 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Behave your self 😊 You were a dealer for years you must of seen coins ruined by being cleaned ,especially the wrong way.

Only a very very minor one, who had a postal list and a display cabinet in the local antiques centre. Yes, I've seen badly cleaned coins which is why I turned to olive oil and surgical spirit as I believed both were neutral. This thread has made me think again.

17 minutes ago, jelida said:

Any chance of a photo, Peckris? For localised verdigris I have found Verdicare very useful, to the extent of full removal, but it does require time for the drop applied to the verd to soften it, and mechanical prodding eg cocktail stick to remove it, and may need repeat application over a few days. As stated before high magnification and a steady hand are appropriate. Next time I tackle one I will try and take photos.

Jerry

It's not very big, but here goes:

1868-f56-3-rev.jpg.502134f99a3e0a2e811a99a0225777ce.jpg

You can see it most on the teeth and rim next to the second N of PENNY.

If it were me, that would be a candidate for Verdicare, but looks very superficial so try a dab of acetone first.

Jerry

33 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

It's not very big, but here goes:

1868-f56-3-rev.jpg.502134f99a3e0a2e811a99a0225777ce.jpg

You can see it most on the teeth and rim next to the second N of PENNY.

Its a nice coin Peck.The hardest place to remove anything from is between the teeth ,so maybe at some time in its life someone has already tried andI would just leave it as it is.

I believe years ago they put some white rubber glue on the teeth untill it set hoping that peeling it off would remove most 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

If it were me, that would be a candidate for Verdicare, but looks very superficial so try a dab of acetone first.

Jerry

Where do you get Verdi-care? I've looked online and it seems to be only American, with shipping costs greater than the product price! (And some sources say it's not easy to get since 2016).

57 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Where do you get Verdi-care? I've looked online and it seems to be only American, with shipping costs greater than the product price! (And some sources say it's not easy to get since 2016).

Hmm, I got mine mail order from the USA, wasn’t cheap but I don’t remember it being extortionate. You really only need a few drops for local treatment,  I will look around for a suitable container; or entrust me with the coin and I’ll see what I can do! 🧐.

Jerry

5 hours ago, jelida said:

Hmm, I got mine mail order from the USA, wasn’t cheap but I don’t remember it being extortionate. You really only need a few drops for local treatment,  I will look around for a suitable container; or entrust me with the coin and I’ll see what I can do! 🧐.

Jerry

I will try a bottle from the USA then Jerry - thanks for the offer, but sending things by post is a real difficulty these days!

I got a bottle a few weeks ago from wizard coin supplies on eBay. Was expensive but it arrived fast and was fully tracked from USA right to my door. I haven't used it yet but will do this week as i have a Gunmoney Crown that's got a small spot of verd on it that needs removing. Distilled water and acetone did not work. 

Excellent, the instructions are online, the key is time and repeated prodding of the verd with sharpened cocktail stick or similar. I have left a bead of Verdicare on the coin overnight without detriment and it doesn’t affect lustre or colour. The instructions do suggest leaving a protective film over the coin, I don’t do this, just dab the coin with water or acetone when I have finished. It works slowly but is very controllable. Use all the magnification you can for precise prodding. Do not use on proof coins.

Jerry

• Thanks 1