British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Which coin would you prefere

Shttp://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=retailv2_details&uin=0030923

Shows a London coin graded at CGS 82. While the attached photo show an un graded coin of the same  attached image. As this is my coin and probably biased. I make the following observations. The ear of the London coin graded example is nearly fully struck. However the surface of my coin shows almost full mint lustier and in addition the upper shield on the reverse shows the 3 lions are far better struck than the  London Coins CGS example. 

Your comments are invited.

Clipboard 4.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
grammer

I prefer yours on eye appeal - the mint lustre is indeed lustier 😉 and as you say, the reverse of your coin is much better struck.  Very nice coin!

See

35 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Shttp://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=retailv2_details&uin=0030923

Shows a London coin graded at CGS 82. While the attached photo show an un graded coin of the same  attached image. As this is my coin and probably biased. I make the following observations. The ear of the London coin graded example is nearly fully struck. However the surface of my coin shows almost full mint lustier and in addition the upper shield on the reverse shows the 3 lions are far better struck than the  London Coins CGS example. 

Your comments are invited.

Clipboard 4.jpg

Has to be yours. Not only does it have the brighter lustre, but additionally, as you say, the three lions on the upper shield are well marked on yours, whereas with LCA's specimen, they are indistinct (especially the lower two), probably due to advanced die wear. It's a major flaw on that coin, which does detract. 

Not my area of expertise, however, based solely upon the strike and not even considering other factors, yours is the superior coin....... factoring in the luster, eye appeal, etc., the two coins are not even close.......

Yours, definitely.

Thanks for the positive comments. There was a more serious reason for this post which goes to the accuracy of grading by TPG IMO a London Coins grading of 82 seems a little optimistic for this coin and given they both grade and trade coins puts them in a compromised position. I brought my coin on Ebay about a year ago for GBP 120 which I thought was top dollar for such a coin but as it turns out considerably less than the London Coins offering although there is a premium for encapsulation. I also note that finding a high grade 1920 florin is difficult compared with the sterling silver coins of the series. There seems to be plenty in the VF - GVF range which make me think that quite a bit of hoarding of Sterling silver coins. went on when the debased coins were issued.

The big problem with the first few years of the 500 coinage was the indifferent strike frequently seen with practically as struck VF detail not unknown. It isn't until 1923 that you get a consistent strike.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I also note that finding a high grade 1920 florin is difficult compared with the sterling silver coins of the series. There seems to be plenty in the VF - GVF range which make me think that quite a bit of hoarding of Sterling silver coins. went on when the debased coins were issued.

Absolutely correct - this was the first debasement of silver in the milled era and there was extensive hoarding of pre-1920, which is why it so commonly turns up in average of VF or better. 50% coins weren't hoarded, but also they wore more quickly due to the shallower portrait with less well defined hair. This is why it's uniformly more difficult to find top grade halfcrowns, florins, shillings 1920 - 1926.

Yours looks far nicer than London Coins.😀

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Absolutely correct - this was the first debasement of silver in the milled era and there was extensive hoarding of pre-1920, which is why it so commonly turns up in average of VF or better. 50% coins weren't hoarded, but also they wore more quickly due to the shallower portrait with less well defined hair. This is why it's uniformly more difficult to find top grade halfcrowns, florins, shillings 1920 - 1926.

That's true. My early 1920's shillings have a very shallow relief - especially the 1923 -  so it's no wonder they "wore out" so quickly. Many of them probably down to <fine within 10 years at normal use. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That's true. My early 1920's shillings have a very shallow relief - especially the 1923 -  so it's no wonder they "wore out" so quickly. Many of them probably down to <fine within 10 years at normal use. 

Look out for the 1921 with the pre-1920 high relief - it's much scarcer than Spink's values indicate, especially in high grade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Look out for the 1921 with the pre-1920 high relief - it's much scarcer than Spink's values indicate, especially in high grade.

Strangely enough my 1921 has got much higher relief than any of its 1920 to 1926 neighbours. In the photo, you can just about discern the more raised lion in the 1921, and the flatter lion in the 1923. Much harder to get a good pic of a shilling than of a penny, because of increased glare sensitivity. I took this one in natural light a few minutes ago, on the window sill.

ETA - did the 1923 again, as it appears half chopped off in the first one.

Further ETA: With all that said, I think I'm deluding myself, as the pre 1920 obverse is of palpably higher relief, than any subsequent, including my 1921. Even so the 1921 reverse lion is definitely higher relief, as stated above.  

shillings.jpg

shilling 1923.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

There are several minor varieties of 1921, Mike (noted in David Sealy's 1970 varieties guide in the Coins & Medals Annual). The pre-1920 obverse hadn't even been noted at that stage! It's quite possible you have two distinct reverses there.

• Like 1

I thought I was the only one that liked these 1920-1926 era silver coins in the middle silver denominations. I really like the Bull specimens of 1920 in these sizes with the so-called duck-tail milling.

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I thought I was the only one that liked these 1920-1926 era silver coins in the middle silver denominations.

Nope.  I do too.

Here's one of the better examples that I have of that era.

D1815.jpg

Edited by Nick
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I thought I was the only one that liked these 1920-1926 era silver coins in the middle silver denominations.

Me too. They're much more rare in high grade but because of the shallow portrait the reverses are usually fully struck up.

No hint of wear , lovely

3 hours ago, Nick said:

Nope.  I do too.

Here's one of the better examples that I have of that era.

D1815.jpg

Very nice - and 1924 is a very difficult year to get in top grade. Even more difficult than the rarer 1925 IMO. 

My best 1922 shilling, they really are very difficult! 1922_sh_02_ref_01554_01_2400.jpg

• Like 3

Just upgraded my 1913 shilling, pics to come, I have found them the hardest of all. Here's my 1924 1924_sh_01_02_2400.jpg

• Like 4

How's this for strike? (please help with image): 

1920 Halfcrown

PCGS Coin Number 512833

Tried looking for coin 812833 on PCGS verification without any luck. Is it the correct ID? My best 1920 halfcrown which I think I may have posted before but may serve for comparison with yours.

Halfcrown 1920.jpg

The best shilling I have is the 1905 I won at Spink in April, 2017 - NEF and totally issue free.

shilling 1905.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

Tried looking for coin 812833 on PCGS verification without any luck. Is it the correct ID? My best 1920 halfcrown which I think I may have posted before but may serve for comparison with yours.

I tried as well, but the page kept getting timed out (512833)