British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Michael-Roo

Does anyone know what this is?

I found it in the loft the other day and have no idea what it might be.

Silver, but not hallmarked, so possibly originating overseas. The decoration and piercing have been done by hand and the object does appear to have some age to it.

The overall length, with the lid in place, is 20cm and it weighs 75g.

The removable lid suggests something would have been placed inside, possibly sweet smelling herbs or incense, which would account for the pierced work. 

There's also that empty cartouche; would this be intended for the owner's monogram or some other personal design?

If anyone can tell me what it is, how old it might be, where it comes from, I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Silver 1.jpg

Silver 2.jpg

Silver 3.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo

You're right, it does! Thanks for that.

So, place of origin? Possible age?

It looks like a Gorham glove pomander. If there's any of the marks shown in this link you might be able to date it.

gorham glove.jpg

I was going to suggest toothpick holder! So I take a bow to the pomander guys.

• Haha 1

Although I agree it would appear to be a silver pomander there are no marks and the workmanship is much more crude (and earlier in appearance?) than the rather lovely Gorham in Mike's photo or those in Ian's web link.

It is a very lovely thing nevertheless. Pomander looks favourite. It may have been made in India or some other colonial situation where hallmarking was not the norm. I would guess late 18th or early 19th century by design but I am no expert.

Yes Paddy, I did wonder if the design may be Indian so interesting you thought the same.

As you suggest, it looks earlier than mid to late C19th too.

I'm now told the design doesn't look at all Indian, but the same person thinks it is cut in such a way as to suggest the object may be quite old.

It is also thought, at 20cm, it is larger than would be expected for a glove pomander.

So, the mystery continues...

Table or wardrobe pomander, late C19th. Can't tie it down too much geographically  but the design says either Tirol or mebbe Croatia.

Edited by bagerap