British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Last Silver Coin in Australia for Circulatation

.A 1966 Australian 50c coin struck in .800 silver dia. 31.3 mm weight 14gm. about the same size and weight as a half crown.  They were only issued for one year 1966 and then replaced by a Cu Ni  version as illustrated. I suppose this coin gives an idea how an ER II half crown would have looked like if it had been struck in silver. 50 C was 5/- in the old money.

Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard 3.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
Typo
  • Like 3

The decimal portrait being used in '66!

Are they still in circulation, or did they go the same way as pre 1947 silver in the UK? (collected up and melted down for their silver content)

3 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

The decimal portrait being used in '66!

I knew it went back to at least 1966 for non-UK coins. Anyone know when Machin's was first used?

20 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I knew it went back to at least 1966 for non-UK coins. Anyone know when Machin's was first used?

1963 decimal patterns

I think most of them were hoarded as the silver value exceeded the face value. There are still plenty around to buy from dealers at about $ 12 - 15 depending on the silver price. I think Canada issued silver coins in 1966 with the Machin effigy as well.

48 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

I think most of them were hoarded as the silver value exceeded the face value. There are still plenty around to buy from dealers at about $ 12 - 15 depending on the silver price. I think Canada issued silver coins in 1966 with the Machin effigy as well.

Yes, I believe they did. I have some 1967 examples.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:03 PM, 1949threepence said:

Are they still in circulation, or did they go the same way as pre 1947 silver in the UK? (collected up and melted down for their silver content)

People say that they get them very occasionally but I believe that not even the entire mintage was released into circulation.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:32 AM, Peckris 2 said:

In Zimbabwe in 1964 I think (controversially).

• Like 2