British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Warhurst

Coin/Token/Medallion Identification

Hi

The item pictured has been in the family a few years and I decided to look it up online to see if it had any particular value but have so far failed to find it on any auction, or other, sites.

What I don't know is what it would be classed as - is it a coin, medallion, token, or something else? Knowing that might help the search criteria.

The silver hallmarks indicate it was made by A.E.Jones of Birmingham in 1968 (interestingly, given the investiture was not until July 69).

Has anyone seen this before?

Regards

20181012_112350.jpg

I can't say I "know", but I would call this a medallion or possibly a plaque. The blank reverse suggests it may have been intended to be fixed to something else? Pretty awful portrait of Charles!

An idea of scale might help...

BTW - welcome to Predecimal coins!

Hi Paddy

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it isn't a very flattering portrait of him since he was only about 21 at the time - it makes him look more like 41!

It's 56 mm diameter and weighs 91 grams, so quite heavy to be stuck on something unless it was hung from round the neck.

5 minutes ago, Warhurst said:

Hi Paddy

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it isn't a very flattering portrait of him since he was only about 21 at the time - it makes him look more like 41!

It's 56 mm diameter and weighs 91 grams, so quite heavy to be stuck on something unless it was hung from round the neck.

I was thinking more of it being affixed to a box or chest or similar. Certainly not for hanging round the neck!

As Royal memorabilia is a bit out of fashion at the moment, particularly when it relates to Charles, I suspect its value at the moment is closely linked to the silver content.

Yes, it's difficult to see Elizabethan royal memorabilia coming back in fashion in the current political climate!

I think the medallion I have is an unofficial one as the official one as far as I can tell is 2 sided and features a dragon.

I still haven't found one online with the same image so maybe it's rare! Speaking of which, why are there so many con-artists on eBay trying to flog coins, which they state are "very rare", for hundreds of pounds or more when there are dozens of the same coin on there and many at just a few quid?!

2 minutes ago, Warhurst said:

Yes, it's difficult to see Elizabethan royal memorabilia coming back in fashion in the current political climate!

I think the medallion I have is an unofficial one as the official one as far as I can tell is 2 sided and features a dragon.

I still haven't found one online with the same image so maybe it's rare! Speaking of which, why are there so many con-artists on eBay trying to flog coins, which they state are "very rare", for hundreds of pounds or more when there are dozens of the same coin on there and many at just a few quid?!

Because just once in a while someone falls for it and they make a fortune for a piece of scrap metal. Or you can take a more charitable view and say they are just pig-ignorant! (Apologies for the insult to pigs, which are actually quite intelligent and likeable creatures.)

3 minutes ago, Warhurst said:

Simple. Serving a market using a combination of greed, gullibility and ignorance. 

The Daily Mail and other rags have been telling the public for years that the coins in their pocket are all worth many multiples of face value. This despite the banks continuing to issue them at face value - and they are hardly slow to make a quick buck. Consequently, many people are now convinced that they should be wealthy beyond imagination. Many buyers want to buy into the dream.

Gullible, because many have bought into this dream, and believe any coin to be worth a lot of money without doing any research. After all, with electronic banking, coins are clearly anachronistic, so must have increased in value.

Ignorant because mob rule rules. You don't need to do homework because we are all on the same bandwagon - allegedly. 

I think I recognise the style - I have some silver "jubilee" plaques of Liz dated 1978 with the legend VIVAT REGINA. Same designer perhaps, maybe same private mint?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Rob said:

The Daily Mail and other rags have been telling the public for years that the coins in their pocket are all worth many multiples of face value. 

Gullible, because many have bought into this dream, and believe any coin to be worth a lot of money without doing any research

Yes, I noticed this because I always look up any commemorative coins that I notice in my loose change and I have a 2 pound Charles Dickens coin with minting errors on it and looked it up and saw a few assorted newspapers (mainly those of lesser repute!) report that one of these "rare" coins had sold for several hundred quid on eBay and everyone check their change immediately. When I looked on eBay there are loads of them and half of the sellers have put stupid price tags on. Apart from stupid buyers and greedy con-artist sellers it's annoying even newspapers don't do their research properly and sensationalise untruths.