British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MissMonehPenneh

Newbie Looking For Advice.

Hello there, I'm new to the forum. I've recently come across some coins that were inside a tankard that belonged to my late father. They've been sitting there almost 13 years and I had no idea they were in there. I don't have pictures to upload right now. I've been doing a little research and have been considering keeping them and possibly starting my own coin collection, I've become strangely fascinated by them except I'm really struggling to understand the lingo, like striking and die etc. I wondered if I listed the years and the coins of a few (some are rather dark and aged but the year and pattern is still visible) maybe someone could tell me if those coins are worth much for starting a collection or if I should just start with something different.

1874 - One Penny
1897 - One Penny
1899 - One Penny
1906 - One Penny
1913 - One Penny

I have various other currencies such as farthing, shillings, florins etc. ranging from 1862 - 1990. I would appreciate any insight into the value of these, or if anyone knows a website or book I can learn more about my coins from. I've considered getting them valued locally, but I want to know about what I'm having valued. Thankyou for any replies and advice.

Lucy 

Firstly, condition is everything. Coins of most dates are very common in normal used condition and tend to be very low value. 

The best book to gauge condition is this one: https://www.coinpublications.com/product/the-standard-guide-to-grading-british-coins/

And a book for values is this one: https://www.coinpublications.com/product/collectors-coins-gb-2018-1760-1970/

(both also available on Amazon).

It is a lot to take on at first!

Hi Lucy

Collect whatever you find interesting or attractive. Some. like me, collect pennies because of the huge range of different varieties but others collect different denominations. Only you will know what strikes a chord. As Chris says, buy a book (they aren't expensive), look through and decide whether something captures your imagination !

Thankyou so much guys! I truly appreciate it. I never really thought much about coin collecting as I've collected antique books for about 5 years, oldest to date being 1716, but now for some reason I'm obsessed with these coins and feel like I need a complete collection! Thankyou again, I shall take your advice! It is a lot to take in, but I look forward to learning more and starting my own collection!

Lucy

Hi Lucy and welcome to the forum.

Once you start looking closely at these small circular metallic pieces of art it does get a little harder to forget them thats for sure.

Check out all of the books in the banner above, they all make for good reading and a great intro to collecting, then acquire what you like the most.

The best words of wisdom are echoed time and again on here, buy well, not for the sake of it - many lower grade coins make an accumulation rather than a collection :)