British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinosaurus

1986 £2 Commonwealth Games

Hi just joined, I have a question relating to a coin I have.

its a 1986 £2 Commonwealth Games coin certified by NGC at MS64, I picked it up about 7 years ago as part of a bulk buy didn't think much of it and threw it in a box. Came across it again today while cleaning. 

Is it worth anything ?

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2762858-025/64/

Edited by Coinosaurus

Welcome @Coinosaurus !

The 1986 single colour £2 coin is the commonest of the 7 issued before they went bi-colour. As such it does not command much of a premium although I cannot say how much having it graded would add to the value. I sell them regularly at market, ungraded, for £3 or £4 even in the best condition.

Over the single metal £2 coins the one to watch out for is the 1989 "Claim of Rights".

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Welcome @Coinosaurus !

The 1986 single colour £2 coin is the commonest of the 7 issued before they went bi-colour. As such it does not command much of a premium although I cannot say how much having it graded would add to the value. I sell them regularly at market, ungraded, for £3 or £4 even in the best condition.

Over the single metal £2 coins the one to watch out for is the 1989 "Claim of Rights".

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I didn't think it was anything special. I dont really know much about coins in general I mainly collect gold and silver bullion coins and rounds.

Always good to know, thanks again.

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Welcome @Coinosaurus !

Never got one of those in my change. But prior to the main issue of £2 coins in 1997, a 1986 Commonwealth Games £2 would occasionally turn up. But not seen one since about 1995.   

Edited by 1949threepence