British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
tubandpud

Hobbies, Other Interests

O.K. Chaps, Following on from 'Enquiries about Coins' (Ref: Train-spotting)

If you don't go train spotting in your spare time (and don't sit at the computer watching E-Bay),

what other hobbies or interests do each of you have ? Presuming you do take a break from

coin collecting !!

Guest Peter_I'm_a_Guest

I have recently rekindled my interest in coins. Like many of my generation ( i.e. old gits!) I got interested in coins in the pre-decimal days when I would pester shop assistants to exchange newer coins for George V florins and halfcrowns etc!

Other interests are:

1)History - particularly 17C and the history of London ( I live there which helps with the study of this subject!)

2) Amateur Radio

3) natural history - wild flowers, trees, insects etc

Plus some other interests which it may be best not to mention :D

Peter.

That's a good point actually.

When people tell others about their hobbies, they mention nice things: Natural history, swimming, football, old cars, going for walks and all that kind of rubbish.

People rarely have the guts to say what they're really into: Cross dressing, strip clubs, older women, younger men, being the only gay in the village and such like!

We should all join up with annonymous ID's, that could be fun! Mind you, there are of course young people in here.

(and 2 or 3 of those things in the second paragraph I want no part of)

People rarely have the guts to say what they're really into: Cross dressing, strip clubs, older women, younger men, being the only gay in the village and such like!

Blimey Chris, I never realised you were so busy!! :) Can't say I'm really into football and old cars either...

Coin collecting is my main hobby, but if you count looking out of the patio window and admiring the different types of birds and squirals that take a daily visit to my garden's bird feeder to eat, drink and wash (whilst I am on the PC typing messages like this) as a hobby then that is what I also do :)

Guest SARAH-JANE

Hey Guys, didn't realise I'd cause such an outpouring over my trainspotting comment, I guess it takes all sorts, so what ever floats your boat. I will say though this has to be one of the most entertaining sites, keep it up.

I like dogs(four legged ones) my uncle has actually just bought a whippet which I told him to name blue don't know why and he did. He was born January 28th 2005. :D

I also love football and Rugby League(and international union) thats about it and also my cousin is a proffesional rugby league player in the super league (cough)

I will say though this has to be one of the most entertaining sites, keep it up.

I'll take the credit for that compliment.

But in a BBC style, you patrons really do make it what it is!

(S-J, did you find my bit about being possessed by the devil on at least 3 occassions yet? Actually I should have listed that as a pastime too)

Guest s-j

Just looking back at all the past chats so will get to it

I enjoy debating, which I used to do regularly and shall be reimmersing myself in next year. I'm also a member of my local tennis club and I swim too.

Shooting has always been a popular pastime - I've done it since I was about seven with an air rifle (my Dad must have been mad). I'm joining a local Rifle & Pistol club soon so I can start using black powder arms which I'm seriously looking forward to.

History, as mentioned earlier, is my favourite subject and school and practically every book I read is either History/Politics/Economics. However, Orwell is my favourite author and 1984 is his classic work which I love to death! That's about it atm!

Guest s-j

Can't believe all the subjects you guys cover. I'm up to speed now on what it is to be a chav, cows and slow on line banking, just diving back in, see you later

Looking at what Oli said, I suppose I should expand on what I said...

Other than coins, I also go to a tennis club once every while. History is very interesting, and I especially like the programs that are shown (and repeated too often) on UKTV History channel when the tele is on...

Chemistry is my favourite subject at school, closely followed by History and Maths. We have had a new chemistry teacher recently, and the funny thing is his name is Mr. S Hussain, he teaches us stuff that is quite far above the top science set (me being in the middle set) for the first 20 minutes of the lesson before going on about fast cars and GPS systems etc... ...which is fun :)

Old cars are also interesting. And I am not really one for watching much sport; I'd rather play football than watch the same old teams playing on tv.

Edited by Master Jmd

Can't believe all the subjects you guys cover. I'm up to speed now on what it is to be a chav, cows and slow on line banking, just diving back in, see you later

Lol...I suppose it is interesting what comes out of a coin forum every now and then :)

Edit: Sorry for the double post :(

Edited by Master Jmd

However, Orwell is my favourite author and 1984 is his classic work which I love to death! That's about it atm!

I read 1984 the other month. Well, it's certainly a clever futuristic look at what could have happened if Communism had taken over the world. Well written, as you would expect, and I enjoyed it.

I will say though, that the way it ended was disappointing. In the end Winston was found out and almost tortured to death until he towed 'the party' line, which he eventually did and so did his girlfriend.

It would have been great if they could have found the rebels and changed the world, but I suppose some books have to have a non hollywood ending or they'd all be the same!

Going out with friends is my main past time! Has anyone seen Hitch or Shaun of the Dead? Great films! I also enjoy playing badminton a lot. I haven't got much time for hobbies at the moment though due to GCSE's. :(

Edited by Half Penny Jon

Chris - 1984 couldn't have ended any other way to be honest. His whole route was through futility and the ending had to show the ultimate futility of resistance.

Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) was an amazing man. Although public school educated he managed to epitomise the 'everyman' feeling of the age. I don't think he's as recognised as he should be as to my mind he's as important to English literature as Chaucer, Shakespeare and Dickens. He epitomises an age.

I'd advise you to read the book again as soon as possible though. From one of the most perfect openings to a novel ever ('13') to the very end every text has a subtext. For a start off people rarely notice the number of parallels he draws between Communism and Catholicism throughout the novel in delicious ways (such as the small pill he's given to get rid of the taste of the wine being an analogy for communion). Even the main characters name is a beautiful mix of the strength of Wintson (Churchill) and the most common surname.

Originally he wanted to call it 1948 but the publishers though this date was too close, so the last two digits were transposed.

The thing is, how accurately has he predicted the world we're moving headlong into? Oppression justified by 'permanent' war, with only the opposition/allies changing. Thoughtcrime. etc etc.

Hobbies - reading and following my football team (don't get me started there!).

I enjoy flower arranging,bare knuckle fighting and one or two items from Chris's 2nd paragraph. ;)

I also love chilling out on a warm beach with a good book,my shades and a lilo B)

I am a collector at heart. Must be the gypsy blood in me.

Besides collecting coins, I also collect currency (paper money) to accompany the coins.

I am also building a collection of Irish Hospital Sweepstakes tickets (this collection is currently on hiatus, other preferences right now).

I have been hoarding stamps that I recieve for several years, now. I don't really call it a collection, more of an accumulation. Always figure that sooner or later, I will stumble upon a young philatelist (stamp collector for those unfamiliar with the word), and perhaps share them. I was introduced to stamp collecting when I was 8, and for about 6 years, I developed a massive collection, but during my teen years, girls and cars took priority, and the stamps were sold.

I have also collected 3 wives over the years, but somehow, they don't keep me interested, and I let go of them, and move on to other interests. :lol::lol::lol: I still have the third one, figure it is getting too expensive to up-grade, and this one definitely ranks MS70.

I still have the third one, figure it is getting too expensive to up-grade, and this one definitely ranks MS70.

Sounds like you should hang on to the third one and whatever you do don't get her slabbed!! :)

I still have the third one, figure it is getting too expensive to up-grade, and this one definitely ranks MS70.

Sounds like you should hang on to the third one and whatever you do don't get her slabbed!! :)

Oh, I do intend on keeping this one. She is a GEM, and is the center piece of my collection.

btw: post #200.

There's a business idea: Mormon Wife Slabbing.

Send a wife off, get her graded and encased in plastic. The higher the grade, the better wives you can swap for. For an MS70 you should be able to swap for at least 10x VF35's!

Or, you could take an attractive looking raw wife, send them off to be graded, and if they come back less than AU58, simply pay for plastic surgery break them out, and re submit them.

I can just imagine the slabbed wife trade on eBay would bring their servers to a standstill.

I can just imagine the slabbed wife trade on eBay would bring their servers to a standstill.

Lol...but I doubt that slabbing services would accept...unless they know the wonders of being married. Good basis to start up a wife-slabbing business though.

There's a business idea: Mormon Wife Slabbing.

Send a wife off, get her graded and encased in plastic. The higher the grade, the better wives you can swap for. For an MS70 you should be able to swap for at least 10x VF35's!

Or, you could take an attractive looking raw wife, send them off to be graded, and if they come back less than AU58, simply pay for plastic surgery break them out, and re submit them.

I wish there was an applausing smiley - very funny!

Thankyou.

Cross dressing, strip clubs, older women, younger men, being the only gay in the village      

(and 2 or 3 of those things in the second paragraph I want no part of)

Hmmm.. sorry, still trying to do the math here Chris.

Edited by TomGoodheart