British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
tubandpud

Hobbies, Other Interests

Who dared to imply coin collectors are boring ??

Like JMD, I too love to watch the wildlife in the garden. Most interesting was a Hawk killing and ripping a pigeon

apart (well, vice/versa really!) And I don' have a big garden. I did the first obligatory lawn cutting yesterday (boring).

As I live by the sea, I love going for walks along the coast (especially in the winter without tourists!) Also lovely

countryside around here for long walks.

Winter holidays to warm countries are another favourite.

Also wintertime I like to do jigsaw puzzles, usually all over conservatory table, but since buying a computer last

year, have installed a programme and create my own on screen from holiday photos, etc., can do several at a time

that way and don't lose any pieces !! Since last October I started coin collecting and coin sorting has taken over

the table!

Summertime brings camping in England as often as possible, dependant on the weather and avoiding extra busy

times (love camping / hate crowds!) , that means walking in other countryside.

Then there is motorcycling .... Ah, riding for miles early mornings, mainly round country roads (GOOD WEATHER

ONLY) Just for pleasure (not a 'Fizzy' !) on a cruiser. Still awaiting delivery of a new Triumph Rocket III. I don't

wish to bore anyone here, but the largest mass production cruiser made (2.3 c.c.). The weather has arrived,

chosen a numberplate, but no sign of the bike yet !! :ph34r:

AND ...... My secret ambition is to join a Naturist Club !!! Just haven't got the nerve, plus it's far too cold in this

country.

Tubandpud

A picture is being painted :D

I can imagine a "large" friendly hairy biker. :ph34r:

There is nothing wrong with fizzies...they led me on to RD's and scratching my exhaust pipes on sweeping bends. :P

I've asked Mrs.Peter if I can have a bike again (its been over 20 years) but there is always a good reason why I can't. :(

As for Naturism...you could always keep your Helmet on.......a bumble bee at 60mph....now that would hurt. :D

the largest mass production cruiser made (2.3 c.c.).

I think you probably mean 2300 cc, or 2.3l !

I very much doubt a 2.3cc motorcycle could propel all that tubandpud!

(Love Triumphs though, the bikes too. If I had a bike it would have to be a Triumph to go with the cars)

Shooting has always been a popular pastime - I've done it since I was about seven with an air rifle (my Dad must have been mad). I'm joining a local Rifle & Pistol club soon so I can start using black powder arms which I'm seriously looking forward to.

Pistol shooting was my main hobby until a few years ago, when the government decreed that only criminals could have guns! I used to represent my county - but now I would have to go to Belgium to practice, hence back to coins :angry:

Edited by Geordie582

My other hobbies... Cross dressing, strip clubs, older women, younger men, being the only gay in the village!

Nah :D

I love reading among other things, spend time with my 2-year old son aswell as study history in general.

To add some other things I never say no to drive "skoter" (sorry dont know the english word), travels (mostly in and around Sweden) and fishing. :)

Whoops !! - Can't get used to it yet. Yes, 2300 cc. "Eleven Hundred Dragstar" used to roll off the tongue.

Oh never mind... I was just thinking how ultimately green a 2.3cc motorbike would be :) Still, I'm sure it's much better than a car anyway...

Another hobby that I have is Genealogy (researching family trees etc...).

Today I found out that my Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather was called Stephen Weston, and married my Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandmother Elizabeth Field on 11th October 1789 :)

Another hobby that I have is Genealogy (researching family trees etc...).

Today I found out that my Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather was called Stephen Weston, and married my Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandmother Elizabeth Field on 11th October 1789 :)

Genealogy is interesting, my great Aunt traced our family tree back to the Dark Ages and painted it all out on canvas, because she happens to be an artist too! I found out that I'm related to Robert Peel, PM and founder of the Metropolitan Police.

JMD - You can now sit and imagine your Great (x6) Grandparents spending which coins on what ?

Oli can do the same, (but I'm not sure which coins they would be ?)

my other intrest is fishing i go least once a week onto the beach or on a local pier and fish for about 6 hours.its even better than collecting coins for me.

ive always been a reader, and for years was averaging about 3 books a week till the internet came along and had all that info without going to a library.now i mostly look and read refrence books on coins and fishing magazines.

a future hobby that would fit right in with my other 2 would be metal detecting i could fish while detecting and maybe get a coin for my coin collection hobby.I just been told not to buy a cheap detector and go for a good one but there 5-66 pounds + ach and its hard to justify the outlay just now, id rather add to my silver collection.

heres hoping i rush over to a car thats just arrived at the car boot sale and they pull out a whites md and for a tenner.

I fish as well (Sea,coarse..also dabble with game)

You should be able to get started on Metal Detecting for under £50.There are plenty of Chinese gizzmo's now on the market which make 5 year old UK machines obsolete.(I got one from Maplin electronics after the treasure hunting press raved about it approx a year ago)..still haven't used it properly...works well in the garden though and re-found my wedding ring.

If you enjoy it you can always upgrade.

I find the venues are difficult to locate although this would,t be such a problem on the beach....although my rod tips go like fiddlers elbows so

I wouldn't have much detecting time.

:D

Other Hobbies? :o

Well i just bought a model of KITT from Knightrider (come on i used to watch that programme as a child, well that's my excuse). So yeah models of anything really. I haven't bought any railway stuff in a while. I would like a tail-light lantern but i haven't seen any knocking about.

Antiques and old stuff in general, anything silver.

I'm also a bit of a Titanic enthusiast... i love ships more than any other form of transport, love the seaside too, i think i just like the sea.

I once tried to put together a 1912 coin set just for that Titanic year thing! I would like a momento from one of the Olympic class ships though just for the sake of it, even if it's a teacup. Although a pocketwatch stopped at 02.25 would be moving.

Oh i'm a fanatical tea drinker too.

I like general science and history reading, plus Terry Pratchett and Charles Dickens' books.

I also like watching TV somewhat, generally the Simpsons, Eastenders and Corrie. Actually i know far too much about the latter to be good.

I also seem to be collecting all things 1980s... got a pile of tapes and records and CDs and rubix cubes and the betamax... never did quite leave my childhood. Tetris!!!

Space Invaders, Frogger and PacMan. Oh good stuff.

Soviet and Russian Aviation history, and railroad history of North America.

Well i just bought a model of KITT from Knightrider (come on i used to watch that programme as a child, well that's my excuse).

Friend of a friend of mine bought one of the actual cars used in the series. Before it was shipped over he had to promise not to use it in any promotional work as KITT. Presumably, also not to wear a black leather jacket and tight trousers while driving it, or to launch a pop career that is just popular in Germany, no where else in the world.

I like cars though, as many of you would have gathered. My 1981 34,000 mile TR7 will probably live in the UK soon (instead of Germany), and the 1972 Triumph 2000 will probably be sold to a former Rotographic bloke in Torquay.

What am I going to drive here in Germany now???? I've got a 'new' toy to pick up in June ;)

My grandmother, yes my grandmother, owned a 1974 MGB convertible when I was a kid. It was a zippy little car that was fun to ride in on trips into the mountains with the top down. Unfortunately she never drove it much and it sat parked for 6 years undriven, she sold it for about £3500. Amazingly it had about 7500 miles on it.

I lament the fact that I could not have gotten that car, it was a gem.

Funny you should mention that krasnaya, as my next car will be an MGF. A tiny bit like the 'B' but a bit newer (on a '51 plate)! I'm getting it from a customer actually.

I know that Rover/MGB appear to be going down the pan, but I'm sure even if they completely die (which would be sad), the parts will still be readily available, and the last cars will still be desirable.

Chris

My question was going to be "What is your June toy" ?

I thought Quattro or M5 ....and then I remembered you have a TR7 and Triumph 2000.

I bet the MGF will be like cutting edge technology & a wise investment.

Lets hope MG go the way of Triumph motorbikes.

I've had company cars since 1984...recently I handed back the keys and took an allowance.

1st purchase was a pug 205 1.4 for £600...great fun....I use the wifes 307 diesel for longer business journeys.

I now scour the local paper for my next toy...A bike is also on the cards.

Certainly cutting edge technology compared to a TR7 and 2000! It has electric windows for example, which was unheard of in all Trimuphs!

I like to think of the MGF as the Triumph TR9 that never was. It is basically made by the same people (some of my TR7 panels have 'ROVER' logos on the inside) and it is the first 100% British mass produced sportscar made since the TR7/8 in 1981.

Triumph bikes were separate from the cars for quite some time, but I fail to see how MG will die. Even if the parent company do go under, someone will save MG. The recent MG's have enjoyed success and good sales volumes. The saviour stepping in straight away and MG remaining British are things that I am not so sure of though.

I had a few company cars in late 90's/early nought ies. The usual Vectras and Astras mainly. I had a W reg Astra for a couple of years. That was always very reliable, and had decent looking alloy wheels and other spec. Too bland and boring for me though if I were actually to consider owning one.

And here's me on the bus? :o

Head down, work hard, and I have no doubt in a couple of years you'll achieve you Anglia 105E Sylvester!

It's only a Fiat Punto but I love it to bits. I got it brand new on 1 March and there's nothing can beat the ego trip of bombing down the motorway and being the only 05 reg car you see all day. It's called Huxley after the XLY in the registration number.

I also have a basset horn called Harley. Now, that's my real mid-llife crisis toy. As a clarinettist I'd wanted a basset horn (a lower pitched clarinet) since I was in my teens, but they don't come cheap and so I always borrowed one when I needed it. Problem was, it was a crap instrument and when it packed up in a concert for the umpteenth time I made a vow that if a decent second-hand or sale price one came along I'd go for it. A week later it did - brand new in a sale by the country's top dealer - and, reader, I bought it. It was a moment of pure, trancelike retail therapy when you can barely hear the voices saying "should I be doing this", matched only by the occasion when I bought that Cromwell medal from Colin Cooke.

Other men are supposed to confront their mid-life crisis by buing a motorbike. I bought a basset horn - called Harley.

G :D

You got your Harley, that's all that matters!

You got your Harley, that's all that matters!

Yeah, but I still fall off when it goes round corners :D