British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kildonan

Charles I mule sixpence

There is a Charles I mule sixpence listed in the preview for the next DNW auction (sixpence obverse, double crown reverse), found in 2014. The description states that it is probably the second known example after the Brooker / Bole specimen (which appears to be a die duplicate of the new coin).

But in Francis's 1919 BNJ (vol. 15, Plate 1) article, he shows a picture of another such coin (looks like a die duplicate again) and this is listed as belonging to Col. Morrieson. So perhaps the new one is the third known example?

Does anyone have the catalogue for Col. Morrieson's auction (Sotheby 1933)? Is this coin listed?

If it was in the sale it wasn't mentioned as the variety. For sixpences rose over plume/rose, the only potential lot was 634, 12 coins; mm. plume, rev plume over shield; another similar mm. rose; other mms. portcullis, rose, plume, harp. The first EF, the others fine or worse. Sold to Baldwin for 5 guineas.

Thanks Rob. It sounds like it probably didn't make it to the sale, so must have been disposed of earlier? I'll pass it on to DNW and see if they take note.