British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The recent thread concerning the myth of 1922 pennies containing gold caused me to reflect on how much numismatic and social history is buried within the pages of long-lost newspapers.

Over the years I've found several such clippings between the leaves of old discarded books, invariably put there by our predecessors for safekeeping. I thought some of you might be interested to see some of them. Would make a great read in book form, for those so inclined.

The right-hand clipping in the first photograph also refers to the 1922 penny as being valuable....maybe because of the gold myth?

IMG_2332.jpg.5808c014f823297588eae353a7a054ca.jpg

Don't want to incite a rampage down to the Vicarage stable at Chard but.........

IMG_2329.jpg.9b1150dba8c76b2bdd7142118213fba5.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg.10f42c837aa364455729af1904bac3b3.jpg

• Like 2

Just for those of us with a neck that goes straight up and down. ;)

Newspaper cutting 1.jpg

Newspaper cutting 2.jpg

• Like 1

I must admit, I love those old newspaper clippings. Pity they're not all dated, although the 1951 pennies at 7/6 each has the notation "Sunday Express 23/6/57" and oh yes....another one underneath for the bangle coins (manillas) "Sunday Express Oct 10, 1948".  Plus February 1, 1817.

Edited by 1949threepence

Much appreciated MrBadE, thanks, I think I've got the hang of it now.

Here's another, worthy of a film, a short one though I'll give you that. Alec Guinness, Stanley Holloway, Sid James and little Alfie Bass.IMG_2351.jpg.0201fd734e92c7bc6fe50a2d14b872d6.jpg

• Like 2

This one's from 1954 and concerns the chase for Edward VIII experimental brass threepenny bits which made it into circulation. I pity the young lad who was honest enough to return No.3 to the mint and have it confiscated, he'd get about £60,000 for it now. 

IMG_2353.JPG.cc623d226181068b70a6319ea42a7909.JPG

Got an interesting one from June 1854 (exact date not known) referring to the Cuff coin auction of June 1854, and the sale on 26th June of one particular coin which fetched £260 hammer. Unsure which newspaper it's from - possibly The Times - but it makes for very good reading.

cuff 2.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Got an interesting one from June 1854 (exact date not known) referring to the Cuff coin auction of June 1854, and the sale on 26th June of one particular coin which fetched £260 hammer. Unsure which newspaper it's from - possibly The Times - but it makes for very good reading.

cuff 2.jpg

And it eventually sold in Montagu III, lot 352 (Nov 1896) for £770, where bought by Spink on commission for the BM, so in the space of 50 years they had to pay nearly 10x what they could have bought it for. A very good case for pursuing something doggedly if you really want it rather than hoping to pick it up on the cheap in the near future.

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

And it eventually sold in Montagu III, lot 352 (Nov 1896) for £770, where bought by Spink on commission for the BM, so in the space of 50 years they had to pay nearly 10x what they could have bought it for. A very good case for pursuing something doggedly if you really want it rather than hoping to pick it up on the cheap in the near future.

I presume, still in the British Museum to this day.

😁

juxon.thumb.jpg.49102d01348e7e8b30d5e50c510bb9fd.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, rpeddie said:

😁

juxon.thumb.jpg.49102d01348e7e8b30d5e50c510bb9fd.jpg

Very nice - yours?

12 hours ago, Rob said:

I wondered who had the other one

I hadn't realised there were two.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Very nice - yours?

I hadn't realised there were two.

There aren't

1 hour ago, Rob said:

There aren't

Never imagined for one second there were.

4 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

i asked the museum for a pic a while back and they sent me it, thought id share the beut

edit: also appears to be on the website now too 😁

How much did they charge for it? Just wondering, because when I wrote my article on the Weyl patterns, they wanted £60 a side for the seven coins in their collection. £420 for images to include in a BNJ article I was doing for free with no chance of financial gain. Didn't take them up on the offer. The pictures of the other 85 coins I was able to locate cost me nothing.

Rob,

In October 2017 I reluctantly coughed up £70 for a photographic reproduction, as the coin was a from a specific collection I had little choice. 

I must say though that, despite the high price,  it is very well done and the detail is superb at 10MB.

• Like 1

Some months back I bought a stamp album from my local coin and collectors club on one of their bring and buy nights, I’m not into stamps anymore but it was what was inside that persuaded me to part with £3 to buy it . Somebody in the past had used it to collect together a load of newspaper cuttings and stick them inside. Many were about coins or hoards found by farmers ,workmen and joe public. The one I like most is the farmer who found the Mildenhall treasure

42E5DC5F-AF8A-471B-898D-98EC51632603.jpeg

94191BD5-3B29-4FBB-A6DB-BADB2ACD69C7.jpeg

• Like 4

A couple more

1B4C4015-29E3-4B16-9A19-F2FAB521051F.jpeg

11801B38-FC51-43ED-8D6E-170F2A63DD51.jpeg

• Like 3