British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just wondering exactly how many varieties there are, I'm missing JEB on trunc and the R/I/V, but I have a few of them. I believe there are 20ish but can't find any sensible resource to confirm it.

I do need to check them all for the correct obverse / reverse combos but I would be extremely suprised if I have any of the less common ones given how much I haven't paid so far :)

I currrently have:

YH

JH (withdrawn)

R/I Vcitoria

R/B Victoria

R/V Victoria

R/I Britt

A/A Victoria R/I Britt

JH (Wreath)

I appreceiate any input :)

Have a word with 1887 jubilee ;)

• Like 1

This was a very subtle attempt at clickbait for @1887jubilee .. I was kind of hinting at how the book might be coming along, but I do subtle rather too well at times I think ;)

He identified one of my 6ds as a pattern, but I'm not getting carried away - he says there are very many unrecorded patterns.

I am over 99.9% sure I don't have anything out of the ordinary :)

I just have this strange desire to try and get one of each silver sixpence coin for 1887 in reasonable grade. Don't think I'm going to achieve a full set in unc any time this or possible even next decade!

A good book on the subject would certainly help - I think I remember @Rob mentioning something over 130 varieties for the year across the whole coinage? that could be a lifetimes work which I don't fancy at the moment but it gives me scope for the future 🎓

OK . You have got my attention. It is good to see I am still remembered amongst the officionardos. How many varieties are there? Well I will give you a clue. When my daughter wants the children putting to sleep she says "Grandad tell them the story of the die varieties of the 1887 sixpences. It has become something of a joke in our family. Pekris has an odd one which was thought to be a pattern and may still be I have only seen 3. (2 are mine and one is his.) If you really are interested and can cope with the mind numbing minutiae it would be best to begin with the R/I of which there are more than a dozen. Then the various proofs:-  R/I ,matt, YH , normal JH short serifs rev withdrawn, rev 3 , filled crown, broad ribbon , narrow ribbon.  How anm I doing, have you dozed off yet?  Pattern with SIX PENCE only R6 so available;   Of course you could include the Spink & Son pattern sixpences in tin, copper, brass, silver, gold, aluminium.....................with or without Spink & Son on the reverse.......................with or without MADE IN BAVARIA on the rim....................and a few that have S&S on the trunk or JEB or are blank...............some of these are easily found there were a couple last month in DNW.........fast asleep yet. Come to Plymouth and we will have a chat. There are some easy ones you still have missing.

Rob  I am up over 350 counting all the repro stuff on the market

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @1887jubilee - over a dozen R/I doesn't suprise me, I have 2 and thought a third but that turned out to be an R/B - but not the one with R/I on Britt.

I think I need to make a weekend of heading towards the south, I keep telling @Paddy I will drop in to see him :)

Is there any news on the fabled book as yet, it's something I've been looking forward to since I first saw mention of it around 2010.

Kev

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
Spelling as bas as Victorian die makers

9 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thanks @1887jubilee - over a dozen R/I doesn't suprise me, I have 2 and thought a third but that turned out to be an R/B - but not the one with R/I on Britt.

I think I need to make a weekend of heading towards the south, I keep telling @Paddy I will drop in to see him :)

Is there any news on the fabled book as yet, it's something I've been looking forward to since I first saw mention of it around 2010.

Kev

Always welcome Kev - I keep finding 1887 sixpences in hidden stashes and I have never examined them for variations other than the basic 3!

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

Always welcome Kev - I keep finding 1887 sixpences in hidden stashes and I have never examined them for variations other than the basic 3!

Paddy, there are 4 you should look for (at the absolute minimum).

Obviously YH, JH withdrawn, JH Wreath and the JH with JEB (on* the truncation, not under it - these seem to be the most elusive and fiscally rewarding).

On 10/5/2018 at 11:14 AM, Peckris 2 said:

He identified one of my 6ds as a pattern, but I'm not getting carried away - he says there are very many unrecorded patterns.

out of interest would you happen to have any images you could post or mail me please Peck?

@1887jubilee Is there such a beast as and R/I/V for the withdrawn type.

I ask because the underlying serif on this one is too far to the right for it to have been from the V.

WIN_20181014_12_58_05_Pro (2).jpg

Mine looks very similar to yours, always wondered if there was something else in there?

Sixpence 1887 O RoV CU CU.jpg

Yes. The R/V is a variety of the R/I.  You will notice the serifs on all the Rs are long on the right of each foot. You will also have noticed the R/V on the R of Gratia which is not so strong. This is on all R/Vs.The R/B is not R/B it also is just a variety of the R/I . So there you have three R/I varieties already.

Edited by 1887jubilee

2 hours ago, 1887jubilee said:

Yes. The R/V is a variety of the R/I.  You will notice the serifs on all the Rs are long on the right of each foot. You will also have noticed the R/V on the R of Gratia which is not so strong. This is on all R/Vs.The R/B is not R/B it also is just a variety of the R/I . So there you have three R/I varieties already.

With the R/B some show a protusion to the left of the front leg of the R, which isn't obvious for a normal R/I though, that's how I iunderstand the difference, is that corect?

6 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Mine looks very similar to yours, always wondered if there was something else in there?

Sixpence 1887 O RoV CU CU.jpg

Indeed, that's why I wanted some further clarification :) It does indeed look the same.

I need to re-check my R/B though to ensure I have my full set of marbles, and then revisit my others. I think I've more varieties than I thought but I keep selling the damn things so I might have to start keeping hold of a few more!

On 11 October 2018 at 11:17 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

out of interest would you happen to have any images you could post or mail me please Peck?

Sure thing. The main difference is in the date: the first 8 appears to be punched over a higher 8 (I think), and the 7 is quite a bit further from the 188 than is normal.

1630269407_18876dvariety(closeup).jpeg.7a1b17d94e15483350524c1892732071.jpeg

23 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

@1887jubilee Is there such a beast as and R/I/V for the withdrawn type.

I ask because the underlying serif on this one is too far to the right for it to have been from the V.

WIN_20181014_12_58_05_Pro (2).jpg

Nice close up.  Interesting that the the diagonal line above and below the crossbar appear to be not quite on the same alignment.

Is that not due to the shallow impression of the underlying letter? With only the top of the punch relief entered, you would only see a bit of the punch, but presumably end up with the sides showing as two parallel lines once fully entered. It's the sort of detail that you could only check for by looking at V(ICT..) on an uncirculated example.

Edited by Rob

It may also be due to my slightly dubious lighting, however I have just installed a new striplight to replace my 2 independant spots, so I'll give it a whirl with "even" light and see if there is anything more to it :)

@Peckris 2 thanks for that, I'll revisit mine and see if I have anything going on there! - that was a JH wasn't it?

5 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

@Peckris 2 thanks for that, I'll revisit mine and see if I have anything going on there! - that was a JH wasn't it?

Yes - the YH version has longer teeth.

14 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes - the YH version has longer teeth.

The date is only 9 teeth on the JH, but I agree now that you said it, the teeth are longer on the YH. Never noticed before :)

• Like 1