British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Piedfort £1

i bought many of these a few years, carefully watching thinking they might go up in price a wee bit, had scan on ebay and you can pick them up for less than £20 ????  except for the nations of the crown (which can be had for half the price when they were issued,) and the 1983, 

maybe a few hundred years time and they might be collectible

, the state of the decimal coin market must be flat as a pancake ? 

luckily i got out of the modern silver proof royal mint stuff pretty quick and didnt pour too much money into them, not that coin collecting comes down to how much you make on it 

Edited by craigy

The decimal market is like any other - it blows hot and cold. 6 months ago I couldn't find enough proof sets to satisfy demand. Sold all I had, then bought a date run of them. Since then I've sold four. If you can work out in advance what demand is going to be like, I'll have a pint of what you're drinking.

• Like 1

Rob's "hot and cold" is relative. In one sense the decimal market has always been flat, for the simple reason that no dealer will ever come close to the over inflated prices that the Mint charges for new issues. To anyone contemplating collecting in that field I have one thing to say: "Buy only in the secondary market and never from the RM".

• Like 2

I do like the 1983 and 1984-87 piedfort £1 coins. The designs are really very good. I brought the 84-87 piedfort set a few years back which cost £55 + juice which was (and still is) the standard price. Strangely, I don't have the slightest interest in any of the other years.

just doesnt make sense to me when people will pay £80 plus for a kew gardens 50p with around a quarter of a million goin into circulation and only 15,000 of some of these £1 , i dont get it 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craigy said:

just doesnt make sense to me when people will pay £80 plus for a kew gardens 50p with around a quarter of a million goin into circulation and only 15,000 of some of these £1 , i dont get it 

It's not the circulation numbers that make them valuable every time. (Sometime sit does).

Thousands of people collect 50p coins, they find them in the change and they have been circulated. Low mintage proof strikes have not been in cash registers and parking meters, they are too fancy and expensive for many to start collecting.  As they get addicted like we did then they pay £100 for a 2009 Kew 50p. 

A 1916 D US Dime will fetch over $500 for a G4 one. Yet they minted 264,000. An 1890 US quarter has a strike of just 80,000 yet only worth about $25 for a G4 coin. Mostly because people collect Dimes in the US.

I know it does not make much sense, but thats the coin industry and why most of us love it.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:10 PM, craigy said:

I think it's the whole circulation vs non-circulating thing that's sort of being discussed in the modern proofs thread - I think more people would collect from change than anything.

2 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I think it's the whole circulation vs non-circulating thing that's sort of being discussed in the modern proofs thread - I think more people would collect from change than anything.

It's the path of least resistance. A bit like doing the lottery where all you need is the ability to point and hand over the money. People are given change, so may as well let the shopkeeper bring the goods to you.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

It's the path of least resistance. A bit like doing the lottery where all you need is the ability to point and hand over the money. People are given change, so may as well let the shopkeeper bring the goods to you.

With the rise of contactless payments, that route is definitely becoming less easy, especially when most change is either 1p or 5p.

You are in control. All you have to do is pass over a note that requires change. The shopkeeper can't give you contactless change.