British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

1946 Pattern Copper Nickel Sixpence, Shillings, Florin and Halfcrown

I rather fancy off metal strikes of the predecimal 20th C. period, some error and some probably not.

One series that interests me are the 1946 "transitional" copper nickel specimens of these - I have not seen actual reference to specimens of them since a 2010 listing picture at Collector Universe of the 1946E shilling in CuNi, which looks rather like a currency version of the 1947.

Bull states the 1946E was known from a 1979 SNC listing, but none of the others.

Evidently there were 1947E and S struck to proof standard in the old 0.500 silver and Bull claims that he owns (owned?) the former.

Can anyone fill out any other information on these coins?

Sorry, can't help. It would be possible to identify them in hand if mint state because the colours would be slightly different, but only if you were thinking along those lines at the time. If not mint state, then I suspect it would be easy for them to pass unnoticed. Maybe I had better check my 47 proofs. Hope springs eternal. :)

I did see a contemporary transcription of parliamentary proceedings where such test coins were described - rather interesting to hear of the economic straits that led to such measures - basically a late sequelae of the Lend-Lease program wherein silver sent by the USA was to be paid back....

The 1946E I saw was not a proof, just a currency-type specimen that was bought in a Belgian auction at 800Euro in 2009-10 era. I'd like to see the SNC coin but don't seem to have that issue (coin given attribute of 1979: 11463).  BTW, Bull references refers to the 1946S as an untraced proof with the notation in the index of "reserved"; what on Earth does that mean?

11463 attached. No idea what reserved means. I would assume that is something he had in mind prior to going to print. Given the lack of proof reading, or at least thorough proof reading, I would ignore it. 

img947.jpg

Wow, Rob, that is superb. Hard to see any markers besides in the jawline. The obverse has a pattern/presentation look to it?? It could be an optical illusion but the border teeth to 9 o'clock look to be shortened...

1 minute ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, Rob, that is superb. Hard to see any markers besides in the jawline. The obverse has a pattern/presentation look to it?? It could be an optical illusion but the border teeth to 9 o'clock look to be shortened...

I think that's a lighting effect. Illumination is from the left in both cases.

Rob if you PM me I took a screen shot of obverse of the "Collector Universe" specimen, and can send it to you for a comparo post if interested.

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Rob if you PM me I took a screen shot of obverse of the "Collector Universe" specimen, and can send it to you for a comparo post if interested.

May as well. Nothing to lose.