British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Fraxinus

Help with identifying Victoria1863 Penny.

Hi all, I'm a Metal Detectorist and recently came across a Poor quality 1863 penny.

I noticed what appears to be a small number (looks like a 5)under neath the Number 6 of the date.

I've looked through a 15 x strength magnifier at an angle and there is definitely a number.

I'll be taking a close up of the coin later this week. but for now have a poor quality picture for you.

Any help with how to verify this coin would be helpful.

Thank you

Rob. 

1863.jpg

Welcome to the forum Rob.

I don't see a die number on your coin. That doesn't mean that there isn't anything there, just that I can't see it. You might have a hard time showing it due to the corrosion.

If there is a number it won't be directly under the 6, but below and between the 8 and 6., like this one from Tony Clayton's site.

1863d5.jpg

I think I see what the OP is referring to...

Just some post minting metal damage, NOT a die number or anything like that.

As stated in the previous post, it would not be in that position/location anyway..

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

5 hours ago, Fraxinus said:

Thank you both, I am much obliged to your knowledge. 

A pleasure...

You'll find most members willing to help out and share their knowledge when they can.....

Good luck with future finds.....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector