British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Royal Mint Retailing and Auctioning Coins Now?

This is a bit of a continuation from another thread, but I am interested in just what the RM is doing with Sovereign Rarities. The last auction had some fabulous pieces that almost reminded me of Baldwin's Basement type coins. Were they sourced from the RM, or just where?

Do the RM buy and sell now through Sovereign or other entities, or are these pieces from their "Basement"?

Also don’t forget the RM might still have the original dies............

Jerry

As far as I remember we talked about it here but can't find the thread. Sovereign are in a joint venture with RM to sell off some of the mint's goodies.

15 hours ago, jelida said:

Also don’t forget the RM might still have the original dies............

Jerry

making a mint?Naughty , naughty.

my impression is all the modern decimal stuff is what the RM is supplying found "lying about"/left overs returned from post offices etc, they are not providing any of the pre-decimal items from their stores/museum.

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

my impression is all the modern decimal stuff is what the RM is supplying found "lying about"/left overs returned from post offices etc, they are not providing any of the pre-decimal items from their stores/museum.

Anything in the museum would be valuable and / or rare. Everything else got melted down?

The contents of the museum were documented in 1906 as far as the coins and tokens are concerned by Hocking (vol.1), with the dies, medals and seals list following in 1910 (vol.2). Obviously they have added to that since then, including actively pursuing some of the patterns, one of which I was underbidder to them in 2004 :(

• Like 1

Most of the auction stuff (apart from the RM decimal gold) came from a collector who seemingly collected mainly from Spink about 20 years ago,  Their SNC and auctions had a lot of good silver back then.

Ah, good. Well, seems a bit curious overall in any case. Those were some very nice coins there in the sale however.

10 hours ago, rpeddie said:

they are not providing any of the pre-decimal items from their stores/museum.

I should hope not.

The Royal Australian Mint auctioned off some its modern pieces in the last few years, though it was all 1987 onwards.