British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

1855 OT Penny - more varieties?

As some of you know I am a reluctant variety collector, so I am struggling with these two 1855 OT Pennies. Here is the one I have just acquired:

1855 D OT 3 Red.JPG

1855 D OT 4 Red.JPG

Edited by Paddy
Typo

... and here is the one currently in my collection. (Apologies for the poor colour - this was taken before I got a better handle on that.)

NOw - the new one seems to have a smaller roase that the old, but the old is not big enough to be the large rose variety, and in any case I don't think that is recorded for this date. Having spotted this, I also noted that the colon after Reg is different on the two coins, and the angle of the colon after Britanniar is also changed. Are these recognised variations?

1855 D OT 1 Red.JPG

1855 D OT 2 Red.JPG

Often you will find diferences to Copper pennies of most years were letters / colons were re cut and repunched to continue using the same dies.

Both your coins are OT Far colon after DEF, The re punched different position of colons  IMO does not really mean any major variety and if it did there would be lots of different types.

The main varieties for 1855 are......

OT Far colon

PT Close colon

OT Three colons after FID

One with a DOT on Victorias Forehead.....A variety for some but only a flaw

You really could go on forever Paddy ,so you can make your own judgement as to what is a variety or not 😉

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 2