British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

is it a coin then or a token,

issued for the Japanese export market place only and not for the UK market hence why it is not listed in the Spink catalogue, as far as we are aware this is the only UK Royal Mint gold denomination issued with Peter Rabbit upon it, and many were destined for the jewellery trade to place in necklaces in Japan, an unrivalled opportunity to find the ultimate Peter Rabbit gold coin in a UK auction, very rare.

https://www.sovr.co.uk/auctions/1002/lot-489-elizabeth-ii-1952-gold-25-pounds-2016-150th-anniversary-of-beatrix-potter-peter-rabbit?view=lot_detail

The Japanese like their gold, as do a few other nations such as Switzerland, Germany, India etc. They should be treated just like any other issue - each to their own.

This is presumably a manifestation of the link up between Sovereign Rarities and the Royal Mint as promoted in recent literature.

• Like 1

I think it is a coin, because it was mentioned is such in the following Royal Proclamation...

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2538345

The other gold coin mentioned in the Proclamation, the £25 Shakespeare coin is listed in Spink vol2 4th edition, on page 95 as item O1.  So perhaps was just missed by the Spink catalogue last time.

However I may have missed the £25 Peter Rabbit in Spink, as I find searching the listing not easy!   I wish all coins with the same face value and metal were grouped together in a single list by date rather than having them split in sections for commemorative's, Britannia's etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

The Japanese like their gold, as do a few other nations such as Switzerland, Germany, India etc. They should be treated just like any other issue - each to their own.

This is presumably a manifestation of the link up between Sovereign Rarities and the Royal Mint as promoted in recent literature.

yes https://www.sovr.co.uk/auctions/sovereign-rarities-auction-number-1/2018-09-25?gridtype=listview

Despite the proclamation I don't see it as a coin. I can't spend it in my local shop. To me, it's just a round shiny thing.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Despite the proclamation I don't see it as a coin. I can't spend it in my local shop. To me, it's just a round shiny thing.

Agreed. It's TECHNICALLY a coin, but then limited edition plates to hang on your wall in special holders are only TECHNICALLY plates : you'd never eat off them.

Edited by Peckris 2

I am with Jon on this one and think he describes it well.......A round shiny thing 🙂

• Like 1