British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Vampire Writer

17th Century Coins

Hello all, this is my first post here so moderators if it doesn't go here please move it to the right place. My name is Rick and as you can tell from my user name I'm a writer - about vampires. Anyway, I am not a coin collector but I am wanting to get a couple of British coins. One of my main characters, Charlotte Ann, was born in 1606 ("before the first English settlers ever set foot in America, while James the First was the King of England ...") and I would like to get coins with the following dates - 1606 (her first birth), 1628 (her second birth), and for another of the main characters James, a colonial planter from Carolina, 1725 (his first birth), 1745, 1748, and 1753 (his second birth). I have been able to find a load of Spanish silver - and I know it was used worldwide - still, she and he were English. So what coins do I look for - Pound Sterling?? - how available are they and can you give me a price range.

I have found, and purchased, a Spanish 8 Maravedi (cooper) dated 1606 and am currently looking at a couple of different 1753 dated 8 Reales. The only 1606 and 1628 Reales I can find are hammered cobs and I would prefer to have a nicer coin. Any guidance, leadership, or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sixpences dated 1606 are available.

Dates 1725/45/48/53 are available in various denominations.

No English coins were minted bearing the date 1628, though years of production are identified by the mint marks used.

1627-28 Castle

1628-29 Anchor

'I'm a writer about Vampires.' I must say, that's terribly clunky syntax from someone describing themselves as a writer! :D

Edited by Michael-Roo

Thank you Michael! I've tried searching ebay using 'pound sterling' as a root and all the results are modern. What specific coin(s) should I search for? Thanks again for the info!

Rick

Sixpence or shilling bearing the castle or Anchor for 1627-1629.

The others? Shilling for the 1725. Copper half pennies would be your easiest route for 45/48/53

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/iNi-Great-Britain-James-I-Sixpence-1606-Fourth-bust-mm-Escallop-VF/222827683810?hash=item33e1909fe2:g:2e8AAOSwFLBaegx2

http://www.leodishammeredcoins.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=517

What do you hope to spend? Here are a couple of online 1606 for starters; you really need a day at a coin fair, you could probably get most of what you want in one go.

Jerry

I think those are the condition I'm looking for - something not too worn and with a good visible date. I'll also look up some coin shows in the area and go 'treasure hunting'! Thanks so much for your time!

• Like 1

Rob,

Thank you for the information! I'm gaining a great amount of knowledge from this thread. Please feel free to buy the coin on e-bay ... my first habit (hobby) is militaria and it takes precedence  ... I just purchased a rare maker, and near minty M1916 holster earlier this afternoon. I can't remember what it was like trying to collect in the days before ebay 😀. But I do have some idea of the coins I'm looking for now. Thanks again for your help!

Rick

Ah, of course. The Spink 2807 sixpence is dated 1628.

My apologies.

I have a S2806 (1625), and hadn't taken the time to look further.

Rob's y'man.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vampire Writer said:

Rob,

Thank you for the information! I'm gaining a great amount of knowledge from this thread. Please feel free to buy the coin on e-bay ... my first habit (hobby) is militaria and it takes precedence  ... I just purchased a rare maker, and near minty M1916 holster earlier this afternoon. I can't remember what it was like trying to collect in the days before ebay 😀. But I do have some idea of the coins I'm looking for now. Thanks again for your help!

Rick

If you want them to all be different, you could do a 1753 maundy penny instead of the halfpenny, but the 1748 would have to be gold, any denomination (which I suspect you might be unwilling to fund)

• Like 1

Totally get where you are coming from as a writer wishing to surround himself with interesting objet d’art to keep it ‘real.’ There is clearly no better item to inspire and pinpoint a definite place in time than a coin! :)

Rob (above) is a coin dealer and likely has, or could probably source, all the ‘genuine’ items you require!

Good luck with the book! :) 

• Like 1