British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

2017 mintage figures,

the 2017 figures are out, not surprised to see there were no definitive £2's or 20p's put into circulation , nearly 10 million for jeremy fisher and tom kitten 25 mil for benjimin bunny and 20 mil for peter rabbit and just under 2 mill for issac newton

Edited by craigy

And 1.8m for the 2017 shield 50p, hoped it would have been lower but managed to bag a few for posterity :)

The annual sets obviously don't get included either as they contain all coins, a shame the mintage figures for sets don't get published but I imagine the numbers are only in the thousands.

I wonder just how rare that will make the contents!

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

3 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

The annual sets obviously don't get included either as they contain all coins, a shame the mintage figures for sets don't get published but I imagine the numbers are only in the thousands.

The mintages used to be in CCGB, weren't they? IIRC they were in the upper tens of thousands?

The RM have started publishing them now (or I've been way to dense to find them until recently).

For 2015 https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/2015-dated-uk-commemorative-coin-sales/

My fifth portrait 1st edition annual set - 1,563. :blink:

Some mintages are just bizzare.

22 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

The mintages used to be in CCGB, weren't they? IIRC they were in the upper tens of thousands?

Not as far as I could see for BU annual sets.

If people read their copy of Coins of England, the annual figures for all the sets are given in parentheses at the end of the entry. So the 2018 edition gives figures up to 2016, as the book came out before the close of 2017.

Edited by Rob

40 minutes ago, Rob said:

If people read their copy of Coins of England, the annual figures for all the sets are given in parentheses at the end of the entry. So the 2018 edition gives figures up to 2016, as the book came out before the close of 2017.

Exactly the problem, I'd need to wait until 2019 edition to see what the 2017 figures are, and I really would like to see them published on the RM site much sooner - once a run is stopped, the figures really should go online.

If they're going to be minting so many of these newfangled commemorative currency coins, keeping on top of which is actually the least common of the multitude makes a difference to what the budget gets spent on.

6 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

If they're going to be minting so many of these newfangled commemorative currency coins, keeping on top of which is actually the least common of the multitude makes a difference to what the budget gets spent on.

But that's not their primary concern.

Businesses are somewhat more complex than an individual's financial affairs. That's why you have 9 months to file your accounts. To release the mintage figures is something they aren't likely to do until the accounts have been reconciled. If they put the figures up and change them at a later date, then people would moan about that too.

The Royal Mint makes its accounts up to 31st March, so it isn't 6 months yet since the last year end. However, the 2015-16 report was issued on the 27th June 2016, so the figures should have been available by this date, and by extension you would expect the end of June for later years. I presume they don't use 5th April as their year end because Companies House couldn't cope with that.

What they publish is general information for which they accrue no benefit, so I guess it is as I said before; giving interested collectors a heads up on the pieces to tuck away with a potential for financial gain is never going to be a priority.

have asked why the jane austin isn't there and they gave a little insight into future scarce coins by telling someone they withdrew the raf folder because they demand from cash centers is going to be low so the chance is people will not be able to fill them, 

I think they're milking  the golden goose just a little too hard.

With so many "commemorative" editions every year now, it's getting to be extremely cost-prohibitive and time consuming trying to keep up - and when many of them aren't currency anyway, it narrows down the options for obtaining each one.

@craigy a point well made above!

I have some but not all, as yet - my £2 run is needing a top-up - but at 30 quid for 6 pounds, I'm startiing to lose the appeal!

If people don't buy them they will stop making them - it's a simple question of profit. However, the public's obsession with farcebook, the Daily Mail combined with greed will ensure this one runs for a bit. Eventually though, I expect it will go the same way as stamps. Every one of us has the option to be more rational in our purchases. We just choose not to. Is it any different to those who just have to have the latest fashion  item or gadget? I think not.

11 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Not as far as I could see for BU annual sets.

I'm going back quite a way - before Chris took over and they were still the A5 glossy landscape mode blue and white covers..

lol went and got me a 2017 20p yesterday as none went into circulation, , have one in the annual set but i like me ngc slabs, and you can't go wrong for just over £20, maybe a waste of money but they might be collectible one day 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by craigy

18 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

And 1.8m for the 2017 shield 50p, hoped it would have been lower but managed to bag a few for posterity :)

2016 was the one to get i think, zero in general circulation, and the 2016 shield round £1 

By the way - you may have noticed the historical list of mintage figures has disappeared from the Royal Mint website at the moment - at least for the £2 to 50p range. I contacted them and they tell me the site is undergoing maintenance and the list will be restored "soon".

And the quality of the coins is shockingly poor, drab meaningless designs and poor quality control.So many flaws it's shameful

1 hour ago, craigy said:

lol went and got me a 2017 20p yesterday as none went into circulation, , have one in the annual set but i like me ngc slabs, and you can't go wrong for just over £20, maybe a waste of money but they might be collectible one day 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Just point out to one of the daily rags that these are like unicorns - and link them to the mintage figures and say it's worth 50k (Have you got one in your pocket?) ....

It'd fetch a fair price then I suspect :)

5 hours ago, pies said:

And the quality of the coins is shockingly poor, drab meaningless designs and poor quality control.So many flaws it's shameful

I thought they'd done quite well on the Captain Cook £2, it has to be the best coin I've seen from them in a few years now. (probably many years tbh)