British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Berg

Different markets - different values!?

As stated in another thread Im under impression that some coins are under valued on the swedish market comparing to some other nations.

I seem to see an tendency on swedish auktion sites where people are willing to pay more for swedish (which might be natural), norweigan and american coins but they hardly ever, for example, accept french coins if you so would throw them at them...

Has anyone else these kind of experiences!?

Yes. It is only natural for coin collectors to gravitate towards their own local coinage as a first choice. Part of that is the nostalgia. Ask any middle aged Briton who collects coins, and I am sure they will have dozens of stories of childhood memories, receiving shiny little tanners for their chores, or the farthing from the grandparents, to spend at the sweetshop.

Here in America, US coins are king, and coins from all other countries are merely childs' play. Many dealers here do not even carry any foreign, and some will only carry the high-end silver and gold pieces. Sometimes, this is beneficial, as the US dealers often do not take the time to research the foreign coins they acquire, and often just toss them into the "bargain bins". I have often found better coins, cataloging from $1-30, in bins marked for 10 cents each.

Here in America, US coins are king, and coins from all other countries are merely childs' play. Many dealers here do not even carry any foreign, and some will only carry the high-end silver and gold pieces. Sometimes, this is beneficial, as the US dealers often do not take the time to research the foreign coins they acquire, and often just toss them into the "bargain bins". I have often found better coins, cataloging from $1-30, in bins marked for 10 cents each.

Sounds as one should check US-dealers when shopping coins from Europe... :rolleyes::D

Yes, I have found this too and especially look for sites from dealers overseas as often they do not know what they have in stock!

I have recently bought a coin from someone in Germany - he paid the same for the lot of 9 coins at an auction that I paid him (and I think I paid a fair price!) for just one of them.

If only I spoke more languages....